General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider needs experienced answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:43 AM
anubisss
Banned

I think a laptop is safer in a "messenger bag" or laptop bag over yuor shoulder as it won't take any of the bumps if you do happen to hit any. Good rainsuit is a must if you will ride in rain. Well worth it every time. Of course I never have taken my laptop on my bike so what do I know.

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:50 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
I would put saddle bags on and you will be good to go.
I bought insulated overalls from Sams Club, for real cold weather. It had zippers up the arms and legs. Made it real easy to put it on over my good clothes on the way to work.
I rode all winter in Kansas as long as there wasn't snow on the ground.
Tom
Please advise: What is "real cold weather" in ........................ Punta Gorda, Fl., Tom?
We had 41* yesterday, and frost and freeze warnings last nite? 32* in Eveleth this morn. Is that cold or just, cool?
Yes, folks, the smell is in the air. The 'smell' of the end of the riding season.

OP, cheap raingear is just that, cheap raingear. It's not good raingear, just cheap. If you are going to 'count' on it for commuting, get 'good' raingear. If you are long legged like some of us, a pair of 'gators' added to it, will help like crazy.

If your leather gloves, fingerless or full fingered (jeesh, starting to sound like a friggin' bra commercial, round here ) are bleeding black dye on ya, ya done bought cheap a$$ed gloves. There are good ones out there, that don't do that. And just cause ya paid big $$$ for them, doesn't mean they aren't cheap a$$ed gloves, just expensive cheap a$$ed gloves.

I throw my cell phone in the tool bag, closest I get to electronic devices hauled on a scoot. I have seen bags on scoots, just for puters, no idea on cost, effectiveness, safety for equip., etc.

As for saddlebags, if you know someone who has bought the bags you think you like, that is great. I am a hands on, sort of guy. I want to be able to put my hands on them, look at them, and feel them, B4 I buy them. Now days, with all the international junk, shipping and returning items is almost non-existant and/or cost prohibitive.

DUH, forgot the chaps. Yes.
If your buds/coworkers wanna give you chit 'bout 'em, tell them to ride the scoot to your house in the 40* weather. Shuts 'em right TF up. Mine are older than alot of ppl on this forum. Love 'em, and they are ALWAYS on me or the scoot. (BUT some DUH got caught, 41*, and NO stocking hat, Saturday nite.)

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 08-25-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:46 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

I don't usually carry a laptop, but I have thrown a laptop into my backpack a few times. It made it to where I was going just fine, but if it's raining, I'm not sure I would want to do that.

Old 08-25-2008 | 02:40 PM
duster74gold
Advanced

I commute to work everyday on my bike. I wear a jacket with a removable liner that I keep stored in the backpack I wear. My backpack carries everything I need, but I don't have to carry a laptop to work. I have, however, seen backpacks with an internal pocket for a laptop and enough room to store your raingear, extra gloves, sweatshirt, etc.

Old 08-25-2008 | 03:18 PM
mark10
Road Master

if it was me, i might go for a t-bag that would hold the computer stuff too. some attach to the backrest real nicely and are waterproof.

whenever i go someplace for all day, i like to figure that it will be colder/hotter wetter/dryer lighter/darker than it is when i start out.

so bring along:
- an extra shirt, based on season.
- rainsuit
- waterproof gloves
- helmet
- gloves
- flashlight

as a bare minimum

jacket. depending on your seasons, it might be real hard to get one that fits all situations. but i am tempted to say that you could get one that would work for 40 degrees up to around 80 degrees, depending on the type of lining and whatever else you are wearing.

Old 08-26-2008 | 01:34 PM
ClawSS
|
Intermediate

I am liking the backpack idea, but lean toward a t-bag to have all the "stuff". I saw a sidekick that was pretty much a laptop bag on wheels with room for clothes too if a ride turns into a day trip.

rainsuit
gloves
chaps
change of clothes
other shoes if applicable
flashlight
laptop
jacket + liner
full face helmet (only need sunglasses then)

Wow, what a list for a commute. I certainly don't pack this way when driving. It is like I was going on an overnight stay every time i ride to work???

Old 08-26-2008 | 01:46 PM
CaptGoodvibes
Tourer

I have a set of US Saddlebags that hold the bike essentials. And then I decide - depending on the forecast - what gear I'll need. On a "jeans" day, it's easy. Backpack for whatever I need to bring. On a "meeting" day, I wear mesh overpants and jacket and bring a duffelbag to stow my gear under my desk. On a "thunderstorm" day, it's full face helmet also...