General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider needs experienced answers

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 07:37 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

I started out on a FatBoy. First off, Buy a set of bags. You don't have to get HD ones, there are plenty out there for alot less money that will do the job just fine. Do an internet search for Saddlebags, and you'll find lots of them.

As for raingear, I have to agree with others, get a good set, you won't regret it when you need it. Make sure it has a heat resistant area on the inside of your right leg.

Coat, Look around at some indy shops, and get a good one. Something with a liner will be good for different kinds of weather

Chaps, MUST HAVE...You will be surprised at the difference in comfort in cooler weather. Make sure they fit properly, and are long enough to nearly walk on. They will ride higher when on your bike.

I am in Michigan, I ride until salt is put on the road, and am normally one of the first to ride in spring. I have no problem riding to work (53 miles one way) in temps as cool as 25 degrees. I wear Jeans, boots, long sleeve shirt, heated vest, lined leather coat, chaps and good lined leather cloves with guanlets to come up over my sleeves.

Occasionally I will use heated gloves, but I find them too bulky most of the time.

I find that if I keep the core of my body warm ( heated vest) my warm blood flows into the extremities and keeps me comfortable enough to keep riding.

Helmet, I own three different half helmets. All have removable zip in ear and neck covers. I wear one of those, with a neoprene face mask, and good glasses. Face stays warm, and I can still drink my coffee on the way in to work.

I now ride an Ultra, I would not own a bike without at least the detachable saddlebags so I can have them when needed.

Wife has a Deluxe, and while she tries to keep the bags off, she does have them for weekend trips and such. Quick detachable is the way to go, on and off in under a minute.

In all of the above cases, DO NOT SCRIMP. Always buy the very best you can afford. You will definatly regret buying cheap in very short order.

Old 08-24-2008 | 07:40 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain

JUst my 2 cents.

Try the fingerless gloves. I wear em, as it gets 120 degrees here in the summer and i cant stand that shmegma that gets on my grips from the sweat. I don't care if theyre cool or not.

Chaps are great when its cold. A rule of thumb is that anything over 90 degrees when you ride is going to get hotter, anything under 90 degrees is going to get cooler. 55 degrees is comfortable on long rides with chaps. Ill ride in 30 degrees with a windshield and a face mask, but not more than I have to.

If you wear chaps when its hot, IMO you look like a douchebag. Someone else may feel differently.

A T-bag is a good investment if you dont have saddlebags.

Leather jacket? I prefer heavier ones with a zip out liner, but just find one you'll like wearing. Its the most important piece of equipment when the weather changes.

If you commute 80 miles, my bet is you'll grow to like the windshield. It keeps the pressure off your arms and throws the hot air off you, and the cold air off you and you can ride without getting fatigued for longer. Its also nice in the rain. It just doesnt look as hardcore. Ride it however you like, theres no rules.

Im not a full face helmet guy, or modular. I like the half helmets personally, when I go through states that have helmet laws.

Have fun on that new bike!

Old 08-24-2008 | 08:15 PM
Campingout
Cruiser

Get some saddle bags. If they are too expensive, consider getting the throwover type, they are cheaper, but also smaller. You can throw them over your seat or under, but over the seat and they can be stolen easily. Here are some co's that others have recommended on this site, to get you started:
http://www.leatherpros.com/
http://ussaddlebag.com/saddlebags.ht...FQMoGgodRQfBZg
http://www.ironbags.com/
And here are some round bags that go on your seat or attach to sissybar, Kuryakn also makes them:
http://bikersfriend.com/pages/harleygallery.htm

Clothes; why not just wear your bus casual under your leathers? Or without leathers if you buy some of the tougher bus clothes. I do. Carry an extra set of clothes in plastic bag in case get wet.

And for boots, buy some nice looking work boots and polish them up and wear for commute and into work also, so don't have to change. I recommend Redwing Pecos. I got a set each of brown and black and put the satin type polish on them so they look nice. Also, that is one tough, long lasting boot.

Chaps are great, wear them, just takes a little longer to put on, take off.

If possible, don't ride in the rain. Streets are too slippery for two wheelers. Ain't worth the risk, IMHO.

You will want a full face helmet when it gets cold.

Last edited by Campingout; 08-24-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2008 | 08:32 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

Google "pro sport + dry bones". MSRP $40.00. I have ridden over 100 miles in torrential downpour and was dry when I got home. Fits over leathers, long arms with neoprene/velcro cuffs, etc.

I'm all for buying quality, and I took a chance when I bought this stuff sight unseen.. on eBay none the less... very happy.

Keep in mind, no matter how much you pay, if its rubber, your exhaust is still going to melt it. The more expensive your gear, the more pissed you are going to be when/if you melt it.

Old 08-25-2008 | 10:01 AM
ClawSS
|
Intermediate

I never plan on riding in the rain, but I figure I need to get the feeling and not be a "fish out of water" when I get caught out somewhere.

How are most "throw over" bags attached so they don't flop / fly as you ride? There was a set a neighbor had but his really rubbed the pulley to a point of wearing a hole in the back. Do they just attach to the swingarm?

Old 08-25-2008 | 10:21 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Get a good leather jacket. I have a HD Open Road style which has a fairly clean look to it so you won't violate your work dress code. I wear heavy jeans and doc marten heavy black shoes that go with casual clothing. I don't ride the bike when it rains or snows or gets below 40 degrees. So, my situation is different. But a good warm leather jacket will be a good investment.

Old 08-25-2008 | 10:22 AM
sbergloff
Road Captain

I commute to work everyday on my bike. No bags, no windshield and loving it. I wear business casual to work, and just ride like that. I normally have to adjust my collar when I get there, but that is all. If it looks like rain, I have the packable HD rain gear that I throw in a back pack and take with me. When it starts getting colder out, I might need to add another layer onto my legs but the assless chaps thing is also a running joke where I work, and I doubt I would ever hear the end of it.

Old 08-25-2008 | 10:28 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Well put , the only thing I would add is make sure no straps rub your paint in the wind. All it takes is one strap rubbing paint to leave a dull mark. I am not going to get into the dumb chap and glove debate. I wear fingerless gloves when it is warm outside to keep my palms off of my billet chrome grips and when it turns cooler I wear full gloves and I wear my chaps when it is cold outside. One other thing---I Hate Bungee Straps----they are prone to failure, premature wear and the ends can damage paint, or eyes if they come loose.
Originally Posted by thrillseeker
you ask a lot in just one post...

I ride 50 round trip each day, but only during the Summer. I have a small T-Bag brand roll bag and a "helmet bag". I try to use the roll bag only cuz the helmet bag is bigger than I like to have back there all the time.
I work in biz casual. I ride with jeans and change to dockers at work. I always carry my rain gear cuz I live in the Northwest.
The T-Bag brand stuff slips right on over the back of the passenger backrest (sissy bar)

I have an HJC full face modular and if I know it is going to rain, I wear that. Modular is OK, but there are some little whistles that you have to get used to. Otherwise I wear a 3/4 with face shield.. easier on the ears, and the face doesn't get pelted with sand,rocks,bugs,etc.

If its below 40 when I leave my house, I wear chaps. If I am going out all day, I wear chaps (unless it is above 85). Mid 40's during the Summer is normal at my house.
If it is really cold, I wear thermals under everything... which is why I use the Helmet bag on occasions... cuz it is usually high 70's when I return home and I have to be able to put that stuff somewhere.

As far as the laptop bag, it should be OK lashed down to the passenger seat. My laptop actually fits in the T-Bag Helmet bag, so something to think about. when I get to work, the whole thing just slips off the passenger backrest, and I carry it in like it was a briefcase.

You will likely try a few things before you figure out what works best for you... It took me a bit.

hope something here was useful for you
http://www.t-bags.com/

Last edited by oldairboater; 08-25-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: I hate bungee straps
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:19 AM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

Post above makes a good point about making sure straps dont chaff the paint, it happens in just one ride.

I don't like bungees wither. REI is a GREAT resource for straps of all sorts. I have a variety of straps from them, cut to various lengths.
Since it is cold in the mornings at my house during the Summer, and hot in the afternoon on the way home, I use my REI straps to strap my jacket to the passenger seat.

How are most "throw over" bags attached so they don't flop
I haven't seen throwovers that don't flop at least some.

A lot of this comes down to personal preferences, function Vs form, etc. On my Dyna.... I personally don't thing any form of saddle bag belongs on a Dyna. Some people disagree and go as far as putting fixed hard bags on them. Not a form I like, but they do perform a function.
I prefer the T-Bag style system because of how they attache to the passenger backrest. For a bike without a backrest or luggage rack, they won't work. I prefer to use the smallest T-Bag possible for what I need (I have three).

Its all personal choices

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:30 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

The rain suit is a must. Look for a jacket that has a hood attached to it. The idea is to keep the water running off your helmet from running down the back of your neck. When trying on a rain suit make sure the seal around your neck is adjustable and can be made to fit snuggly. . Also consider Rain Gaiters for your feet and gloves that have a water proof outer shell. I wear fingerless gloves that do not bleed the black die to my hands. They are made by Hugger. A versatile leather jacket will have vents front and back along with a water proof zip in/out inner liner. I have too many leather jackets that tend to collect dust since I bought a HD FXRG jacket. When I rode my Sportster to work I put the computer bag on a luggage rack. I carried some plastic bags to put the computer bag in when it rained.

A trick I learned this year. I tend to wait until the last minute before I put the rain suit on so I can be in a real hurry to get into the thing. My lug sole boots tend to get hung up as I’m trying to push the boot through the pant leg. This spring I’m sitting next to a woman who pulls out two plastic grocery store bags and puts them over her boots and then easily slides into her rain suit while I struggle to my pants on. It works, just don't forget to take the bags off. Now I carry a couple bags with the rain gear.

Last edited by GT_RoadGlide; 08-25-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: New Rider needs experienced answers