General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgators

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008 | 03:52 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

When I'm in my Jeep, I'll tap the brakes to try to get them to back off. If that doesn't work, I slow down to let them pass. If they're still there after that, I just slam on the brakes and come to a complete stop.

Old 09-11-2008 | 09:08 AM
confederate
Most Wanted

Originally Posted by iusesearch
Marbles 4 me to lol , I had a cager tail gaiting me the other day , When he saw me reach 4 my pocket he backed WAYYYYY off . Hummmm a smart driver ? lol
Exactly.

Old 09-11-2008 | 10:07 AM
speckfisher
Road Master

You guys are correct you never know who is packing. Engagement is not the option in my opinion. As far as the ball bearings and marbles that can work both ways, if the cager gets pissed and passes you and then begins to throw **** out the window in front of you, the rider gets the short end of that stick.

We have all read instances were a rider got off their bike and approached a cager idiot and was shot, the cager always wins because they were in fear of their life...like we are all so threatening.

I always hit the gas and get some distance between me and them, if they speed up then I switch lanes and slow down and let them go tailgate someone else.

Old 09-11-2008 | 12:00 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member

A hand signal usually does the trick for me, but a vest pocket of rocks sounds like a darn good follow-up for a stubborn cager.

Old 09-11-2008 | 01:30 PM
rob i
Road Master

i usually just give a "back up" wave with my hand. it hasn't failed me yet.

rob

Old 09-11-2008 | 02:39 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior

Last week on the ride to Wildwood for BikeWeek I had a van come flying up on my ***. I couldn't believe this bozo was so close and not moving. So I throw my hand down in a strong showing on BACK OFF. He immediately backed off but only 50' or so and then took an exit a mile or 2 down the road.
No marbles, no stones, no crap. Silent intimidation works.

Old 09-11-2008 | 03:12 PM
blueridgerider
Advanced

Ball bearings, marbles, rocks...

It's all just road crap for the next biker.

If it's just an idiot let them by as soon as possible and shrug it off - I know in NC brake checks are illegal and can be dangerous. Had a girl I know was paying too much attention to her child in the backseat (not good I know but people do things without thinking). She turned around just in time to catch the guy brake checking her and she slammed on her brakes and wrecked. Severe injuries to her and the child.

Now, I am notcondoning what she did. She was not paying proper attention to her driving. But, while the world may be chock full of ********, there are also a fair share of people just not thinking.

I find keeping myself safe, and shrugging off the crap to work just fine.

Old 09-11-2008 | 03:15 PM
n4toc
Road Captain

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I'm suprised nobody mentioned 1/4 inch ball bearings being tossed up in the air to land on a windshield.
Exactly what I was thinking!

Old 09-11-2008 | 03:53 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree, slow down a little. Maybe a couple of good taps on the brakes.

Old 09-11-2008 | 04:31 PM
Spade115
Banned

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I'm suprised nobody mentioned 1/4 inch ball bearings being tossed up in the air to land on a windshield.
I was told to do this by my uncle and make a spring loader so it smashes the window. But some old bikers told me 9mm, I think ill go with the marbels for now.

Quick Reply: Tailgators