General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgators

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 12:20 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Boxer 6
I was on the NYS Thruway today in the right lane when I glanced in my sideview mirror and noticed an Toyota MR2 coming up pretty fast behind me. I was thinking if this JA hits me and I am still able to get up, he's going to be the one that needs medical attention. Anyone have any good solutions for the cager that's right on your butt at 80 mph? I was thinking about pulling into the shoulder but those rumble grooves are pretty deep and there was lots of debris in the shoulder.
I do the following until they go away, pass me, or back off

1) Tap the brakes
2) Pull in the clutch, rev the engine, then tap the brakes (that seems to wake some of them up - for whatever reason.
3) Slow down
4) Slow down more
5) Slow down more
6) Slow down more
7) Slow down more
8) Slow down more

I continue to slow down until they pass or back off. If they do neither, at least I have bought myself some time for dealing with any other situation that comes up.

Old 09-10-2008 | 01:01 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

There is a guy on YouTube that made a flame thrower from hid exhaust. This appears to be a good tailgating deterrent!

Old 09-10-2008 | 02:54 AM
DaveMK
Road Master

In South Carolina they call it drafting.

Old 09-10-2008 | 02:59 AM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member

Spark plugs in your shirt/vest pocket. I always keep 2 around for just such an occasion. Try the civil route first, if that don't work....dangle it to give em a better understanding that they need to knock the **** off, and if all else fails...**** 'em, they got it comin to em.

Old 09-10-2008 | 05:38 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Tailgaters are my biggest peave.For the life of me I will never understand why they feel the need to ride our bumpers.I usually screw with them,slow down in the twisties,then speed up on straights.

Old 09-10-2008 | 06:22 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
I agree 100% with this part. I typically wear a denim jacket with the sleeves cut off that has a patch w/ a skull & crossed .45's. I notice when I wear it I rarely, if ever get tailgated. When I don't wear it, I notice I will get tailgated more. I think cagers think I'm part of a club when I have the vest, which is fine by me as long as it keeps me safe.

Yaa, I noticed that also, patches are good for that. Because I do belong to a club and we are a tight knit group if you know what I mean.

Old 09-10-2008 | 08:03 AM
Colbridge
Intermediate

I usually try to get out of the way. Sometimes that means opening it up a little to make some space between us. In my truck if someone tg's me, I usually slam both feet on the brakes.

What chaps my *** more than tg'ers, are the ******** who pull up next to you at a light. There's no denying how I feel there. I usually take it out of gear and scream a good bit at them. If they want to escalate things I can be off the bike real quick.

Old 09-11-2008 | 01:25 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

It's actually funny. I wear my patched vest often and when there's someone on my butt I reach down with my left hand to just infront of my left saddle bag. I keep my hand there until they slow down. Another tactic is to adjust the sun glasses case on my belt. From a few feet it could look like a holster. As soon as they think I'm a cop they want to get far away me.

Old 09-11-2008 | 01:31 AM
E.Richardson
Tourer

I saw a tailgator once. I skinned him and made him into a pair of boots Kidding.

When I get a tailgater I just move. These days I don't know who's packin' and who's not and to err on the side of caution I'll just move. I only have to deal with them being an arsehole for 15 seconds. They have to live with themselves forever.

Old 09-11-2008 | 02:22 AM
OldTmeCowboy
Advanced
Wink

When I'm in my F350, I give tailgaters a blast of black diesel smoke as I tromp on the accelerator for 1-2 seconds, then fade back to the same speed I was going. Usually works, but it's ME paying for the fuel!

Quick Reply: Tailgators