General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tailgators

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 07:57 PM
hdokie
Tourer

the was only one tailgater that really annoyed me, I psyched him out by reaching into my jacket pocket and acting like I threw something down. he backed away pretty quick, I wish I had had something to use but it worked anyway

Old 08-24-2008 | 08:16 PM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

I was the recipient of a tailgater getting bearings i was in my P/U about 6 cars back from the tailgater he got a shattered windshield slammed on brakes got hit 3 times by cars as we were doing 65
I received a broken windshield like to other cars Mine was shattered not drivable
you could see lots of bearings bouncing on HWY 101 north of SF
Remember i was at a very reasonable distance away

Old 08-24-2008 | 08:40 PM
Campingout
Cruiser

Slow down and keep slowing down to make them pass.

Old 08-24-2008 | 10:39 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Tailgating me is a threat to my safety. I will do something to improve my safety. Whatever it takes. I am not going to list what I can and will do, but it will be something.

Old 08-25-2008 | 08:20 AM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Tailgating me is a threat to my safety. I will do something to improve my safety. Whatever it takes. I am not going to list what I can and will do, but it will be something.
I agree 100% with this part. I typically wear a denim jacket with the sleeves cut off that has a patch w/ a skull & crossed .45's. I notice when I wear it I rarely, if ever get tailgated. When I don't wear it, I notice I will get tailgated more. I think cagers think I'm part of a club when I have the vest, which is fine by me as long as it keeps me safe.

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:02 AM
jferna
Cruiser

Here in Virginia, it seems tailgating is a passion, especially during the NASCAR racing season. There is no sure cure. If I am already going over the speed limit on a two lane, I'll maintain my speed and hope they pass. If I'm on an interstate, I'll move over and let them pass, everyone is speeding anyway. I don't like riding that fast in traffic where I'm the last person they're going to notice at blinding speeds. Seems like when I speed up, they speed up also. Everyone likes to outdo the biker, not knowing the dangers we face when idiots like them are on the road. People like to play games. I don't want to play since I am outgunned by gross poundage and mass. The biker will always be the loser. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:04 AM
verko
Cruiser

People always wonder why at gas stations I pick up nuts, bolts and put them in my left glovebox.

They work like a charm for these situations.

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:24 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jdeitrick
If someone is too close, you are too slow. Move to the right. Your speed is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is your speed compared to their speed. If you are faster, move left. If you are slower, move right. Do unto others...
So if your in the right lane you should pull off the road I guess

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:31 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

So let me get this correct. Do you guys that reach into your pocket throw the marbles, rocks or bearings when the assh*le is tailgating you & no one is behind him or is it WTF, everyone behind him should pay too. Seems to me if I'm in my car & minding my own business (behind the assh*le that's tailgating) & I get hit by debris or worse yet get into an accident because of it someone is going to pay. Most likely the person flipping the marbles.

Old 08-25-2008 | 09:41 AM
vega823
Road Master

Would one of you guys please finish the story about throwing something at a car behind you? Maybe it is because I live in NYC and NOBODY here would take a rock/marble/chew on their windshield and just back off. Seems to me that you escalated the confrontation to a new level. Nobody got aggressive after that???
I am not saying that you are lying, it is just hard for me to believe.

Quick Reply: Tailgators