Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long did you wait before riding a passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Streets of Fire
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been riding 3 and 4 wheelers since I was 4. I waited 5 minutes and threw my wife on back when I finally bought a Harleyl

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually about 100 miles. Foolish of me and foolish of the wifee to have that much confidence in me. Can't say there were any major problems doing it but I don't think it was a wise thing to do. We were probably just very lucky.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dotcom2000
just bought a harley - got a new wife thats never ridden before. i told her keep your feet on the pegs unless i say otherwise and keep your head behind mine that way your leaning with me and not gonna cause any problems. been ridin' 40+ yrs and never had a problem packin' a passenger if they listened to me.
A BIG +1

Just get on her and ride like hell. Whats the problem? Keep her feet on the pegs and tell you before she gets on and off. Ride it.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Strongarms
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasnt really looking for advice, I knew well enough when it was time, I was just curious what different people did in the same circumstance.

And totalfiasco, I was wondering how long it would take somebody to turn my good grammar into a bad joke. :P

Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Here in Japan, it is against the law to have anyone on the back of your bike until you've had your license for a year. And you have to wait 3 years before you can ride 2-up on the tollways (interstate equivalent).

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Rush0608
Cruiser

15 minutes/12 miles.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:58 PM
08softailC
Advanced

around 3000 miles. i just went two up for the 1st time this past weekend.she had road a bike but its been a long time. she was leaning into the turns. but too soon.she was actually turning the bike in light turns. i finally told her to just stay up right and go with it when it leans over.it was better after that. its definatly different with a rider on the back. also got the bike chrissened this weekend too. gas, grass, or *** nobody rides for free

Old 08-22-2008, 10:59 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife is realtively small but still affects the handling. Once I got the 8's and circles down solo, I put her on and practiced the same. It's different but not bad. I also had the engine redone to a 107 with new cams, that really helped the torque and made it more fun and safe to ride.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:05 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I just got a bike after not riding for 20 years. I rode around the neighborhood and on some local back roads for a couple of days before I let my wife get on the back.

I always tell any passengers;
- keep your feet on the pegs
- Do whatever you are comfortable with when I turn - lean, don't lean - but whatever you choose, don't change in the middle of the curve or turn.
- Watch the pipes, they get hot
- hold on
- when we're slowing, you may want to lean back a bit to avoid knocking helmets/heads
- Don't get off until I tell you to do so (I hate when I'm holding the bike up with my right foot, shifting into neutral, and the passenger decides to hop off the left side!) :-D

Old 08-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Phlip96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08softailC
around 3000 miles. i just went two up for the 1st time this past weekend.she had road a bike but its been a long time. she was leaning into the turns. but too soon.she was actually turning the bike in light turns. i finally told her to just stay up right and go with it when it leans over.it was better after that. its definatly different with a rider on the back. also got the bike chrissened this weekend too. gas, grass, or *** nobody rides for free
Sounds like she's destined to ride her own! lucky guy!

I waited about 4-6 weeks..couple hundred miles

Quick Reply: How long did you wait before riding a passenger?