General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for riders with tall Apes

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:59 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for riders with tall Apes

Do you think they're comfortable on longer trips? I want to put some on my Nightster, maybe 16" or 18" rise. I love the look of the tall, thick black bars.

My only concern is that I haven't had the pleasure of riding with apes before, so I want to make sure the bike will still handle okay, and my arms won't go numb. I've heard differing opinions, and just want to know yours.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:03 PM
randjroadking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love my 16's.Icant imagine ever going back.short or long trips,its all good. I rode my friends deluxe with stock bars the other day and felt like one of those little circus monkeys on the little bicycle.

peace

Old 08-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Double00Aught
Road Master

You might check your states law on tall apes. It'd be a shame to have to take'em off. I like the way apes looks as well.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:06 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MTBlood
You might check your states law on tall apes. It'd be a shame to have to take'em off. I like the way apes looks as well.
Thanks. Already checked on that. No height restriction in VA.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:13 PM
cccbebad
Intermediate

Where are you located in VA, I am from there and plan on doing some riding up there soon! As for the APES, I have rode my 16"s from Jacksonville Fl ro Miami! No problem, and if your hands or arms start to fall asleep it means its time for a drink!! Preferably a 12 ouncer!!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Nostalgic07
Road Captain

Just Do It!!! I am damn happy these days since going with the apes!! You should be fine short/long trips!! I know @ 6'2" on my deluxe...apes were a Must have!!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:21 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cccbebad
Where are you located in VA, I am from there and plan on doing some riding up there soon! As for the APES, I have rode my 16"s from Jacksonville Fl ro Miami! No problem, and if your hands or arms start to fall asleep it means its time for a drink!! Preferably a 12 ouncer!!
I'm in VA Beach. The best riding in VA is further toward the Blueridge parkway imo.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 PM
sbergloff
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nostalgic07
Just Do It!!! I am damn happy these days since going with the apes!! You should be fine short/long trips!! I know @ 6'2" on my deluxe...apes were a Must have!!
I think I'm gonna do it! I'm going to have them custom fabricated for me, so I just need to get the design figured out.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Hatchie
Intermediate

I think the black apes will look awesome on your bike. Check out the Roland Sands bars or Gimp Hangers by Nash Brothers. Very cool styles for that style of bike.
As far as your hands going numb....my bars are 16 inches but my hands are level or below my shoulders depending on how I'm sitting and my hands never go numb. I've got a friend that has 18 in bars and billet grips and when I've ridden his bike my hands are always above my shoulders and seem to go numb pretty quick, plus the billet grips make my hands buzz. I know that sounds goofy, but that's the only way I know to describe it.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:08 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

I have tall apes on my 76 Ironhead and absolutley love them on a long trip. I should qualify that by saying a long trip on that bike is 300-400 miles, longer trips on the softail. Shoulder height seems to be comfortable so stay with a 16-18 inch. Hatchie brings up a good point about the grips, get something that absorbs vibration.

Quick Reply: Question for riders with tall Apes