General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maintenance has to be done on the cam chain tensionner primary and secondary

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts
Smile

Dear Farmer,
Shame on these nasty guys! The problems mentioned (If you are French) should be checked, adjusted or replaced on or before 25,000 snails. By the way be sure to keep those roadside trees in good shape, you know well how German soldiers HATE to march in the sun..........

Last edited by nytryder; 08-22-2008 at 02:27 PM. Reason: donj't remember
Old 08-22-2008, 02:27 PM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not able to answer if I dont know its a question, I thought it was a proclamation!

you dont need to do anything to the cam chain tensioners as far as routine maintenance but apparently some wear out prematurely replace as needed

the forum search feature is your friend

Old 08-22-2008, 02:31 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
Dear Farmer,
Shame on these nasty guys! The problems mentioned (If you are French) should be checked, adjusted or replaced on or before 25,000 snails. By the way be sure to keep those roadside trees in good shape, you know well how German soldiers HATE to march in the sun..........
I suspect he is in Canada, probably Quebec, and he probably speaks french.

Are you saying that the cam chain tensioners should be serviced at 25,000 miles?

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

+1 JBaker...

Some of these guys are embarrasing.

I would like to know the answer to this myself.

MikeM

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Thank you guys. I'm embarrassed for some others here. This is a newer member who doesn't speak English well. He may speak French. He may be from France or Quebec, Canada or something similar.

He needs some good information about maintaining his Harley. I don't know the answers.

Will some good member here please help him?

Thanks.

JB

Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Thanks Mike.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:44 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by farmer
maintenance has to be done on the cam chain tensionner primary and secondary on the oil pump, camshaft primary and secondary drive chain
or how many kilometers (miles) to make this work on the Road King Classic 2004 or twins came 88,good morning
Farmer, most of us who try to do our own maintenance buy the factory shop manual for our bikes from a dealer. I think they cost about $60 US.

I have not done what you ask so I don't know. I believe you are asking:

1. how many miles before you need to check your cam chain tensioner.

2. The rest of it I don't understand. We always recommend buying the service manual from the dealer. It has pictures and clear instructions and also charts that tell you how often you need to do every service item on the bike.

If no one here can understand and answer better than that, then that's the best I can do for you.

Congratulations for your English. It's better than my French.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

JB

Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I see the morality police have a firm handle on the situation. The last time I checked we all rode Harleys, not Vespas. Our "bad" members were just having a little fun with him. I'm sure no disrespect was intended. Boy, the Harley crowd aint what it used to be!!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:55 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my '05 RK the cam tensioners were worn excessively at 17,000 miles. Only one was badly worn but don' remember which one. I took that opportunity to install the 95" kit, and cams with drive gears. How long do they last? Dunno.

On the primary issues (if that was the question) I change my Primary fluid every 5,000 miles and adjust the tensioner at that time. Some of you will say that is too often but with the higher compression pistons I am finding metal shards in the oil. It won't be long for the starter drive.....

My wife's Deluxe has only 11,000 miles and checked her tensioners last oil change and they look new..

Hope this helps...

Ron

Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,105 Likes on 6,693 Posts
Wink

You guys really shouldn't drink the synthetic Blinker Fluid..........

Not an expert, but as I understand it the cam chain tensioner shoes commonly wear out around 30,000 miles (some more - some less). If they wear to the point of complete failure, it usually takes out more bottom-end components with it (expensive).

Many have switched over to S&S gear drive to eliminate worry. While effective, it costs around $1500. In 2007, the stock tensioners were improved (not sure how) and durability is much better. Changing to later model tensioners costs around $300.

.........and now we return you to our regularly scheduled program: "Smartasses on Parade"

Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,539 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailbreaker
Wow, I see the morality police have a firm handle on the situation. The last time I checked we all rode Harleys, not Vespas. Our "bad" members were just having a little fun with him. I'm sure no disrespect was intended. Boy, the Harley crowd aint what it used to be!!

+1, this place is getting a little sensitive lately

Quick Reply: maintenance has to be done on the cam chain tensionner primary and secondary