General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperGlide or Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have heard before that the Sportster is a womans bike, but here lately more women are riding bigger bikes (go figure), so I guess that leaves the sportsters for the kids. I myself do not understand why theres still a sportster line.

wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 1200R and a SuperGlide. No question, get the super glide. They really are not that different, but I really like the twin cam better then the sportster engine. The twin cam really does not have more power, but it pulls much better at low rpm. If you are going to do long rides on interstates, the 6th gear is sweet at 80 mph.

Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Two years ago I had the same question. I test rode baggers, softies, sportsters, and then the superglide. Bought the superglide because it fit my riding style. Soooooooo go test ride or rent and ride and then you will know what will fit you and your riding style.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 PM
tdegroot
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super Glide. I got back in 4 years ago, bought a 1200R. Was very happy, although long rides weren't the greastest for me. Traded for a SuperGlide last year, conclusion is I should of done that in the first place.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Get what you want and not what everyone else thinks you should get. Both are great bikes. I sold my BT for my Nightster because I really dug it when it came out. I haven't regretted a minute of it. I ride it all over, city, highway, interstates, doesn't matter. I have it set up for my tastes though. It just depends on the person riding. If you are considering a sporty, I would recommend getting a 1200 over the 883. Remember, there is a reason the sporty has been around so long, it's because it's a damn good bike. Just my .02

Old 08-21-2008, 08:03 PM
hardpill
Cruiser

I would go and look at both of them, really hard for a long time. Then buy yourself a Wide Glide.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SuperGlide is the worst looking HD in the lineup. It has a bare silver engine and basically no chrome. If you're going to get a Dyna, go with one of the other ones, imo, or you'll end up spending more on mods for your superglide and it will have less resale value. Sportsters are terrific - I loved my 1200C, but found it was just a smidgen too small for my legs. Check out the Low Rider - the best looking Big Twin as far as I am concerned . . . My 2 cents anyway

Old 08-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Graywolf584
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went in to a Harly dealer a little over a year ago looking to buy a 1200 Sportster. Left with a Super Glide and have NO regrets. More comfortable and as has been said, much better for longer rides. Think of it as a Sportster on steroids.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Chip, The best advice out there is ride several of them and you'll be able to make a more informed decision. All of the guys have good advice based on their experiences. I had a '99 1200C for 9 years (got it in Aug 98) and last fall on an 08 Super Glide Custom. While I loved the Sporty, there's no comparison to the Super Glide. The ride's more comfortable, there's more power, the handling's great, and with the big 5.1 gal fuel tank, you can cruise a long way. Most people who've been around the Dynas and Sportsters will tell you that the Dynas, especially the Super Glides are just Sportys on steroids. One last thing, if you like chrome, the Super Glide Custom is probably the best buy for the money in the big twin arena. It only costs $1K more than the basic Super Glide and you'll spend more than that on the extra goodies. Good luck on your choice.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 PM
mstakern
Tourer

Sportsters are still in the line up because they are one of the best selling bikes in the lineup. I agree with 3power, the super glide is the worst looking bike in the lineup. It has no chrome, a gray engine, and a just a solo seat. I had a 1200 custom, and woul dhave picked it every day over a super glide. I wanted more power so I got a V-Rod.

Quick Reply: SuperGlide or Sportster