General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed trap warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:44 PM
palerider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed trap warning

Riding down the highway this weekend when I see a few State Trooper’s on the side of the road with a speed trap set up for traffic coming in the other direction. Not wanting to see any fellow bikers get a speeding ticket I tried to signal them by using the old school way of warning others, by tapping on top of my head / helmet with my hand. I don’t think that one gets used much any more so all I got for my efforts was a few nutty looks. Flashing high to low beam light didn’t seem to work much better either. So my question is what types of hand signals or jesters do you use if any?

Old 08-20-2008, 03:48 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always used the flashing highbeams. Never heard of the tapping the top of the head one...

I was once told that if a cop caught you warning someone about a speed trap, they could bust you for obstruction of justice. I think that's a bunch of bull, but it gives you something to think about.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tapping on the head is an old school message. Many younger riders don't know about it. Heck, it might even be a regional type thing, who knows? I learned it long ago. These days I just put my arm and hand out to the side, like I'm going to wave, and I use a pushing down type of movement. Most seem to understand that.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tapping the top of your head is what I have always know was to warn of a speed trap.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:10 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtieman31
Tapping on the head is an old school message. Many younger riders don't know about it. Heck, it might even be a regional type thing, who knows? I learned it long ago. These days I just put my arm and hand out to the side, like I'm going to wave, and I use a pushing down type of movement. Most seem to understand that.

+1 what he said....

Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Starboard
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We used to tap on the side of our heads, not the top, but times have changed. The other day I used the old switching the head beam from low to high and the guy in front of me moved over to the shoulder. Go figure.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesssman
Tapping the top of your head is what I have always know was to warn of a speed trap.
+1 It may be regional but we use it here. People not knowing what it means probably has a lot to do with never learning the full range of MC hand signals that are often only covered under group or formation riding instruction.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Tapping the head isnt regional. Its used religiously here in Cal. Usually tap the head, then hold up the number of fingers for the number of cops waiting.
The only time I use the push motion is when I'm parked on the side of the road, and use both hands

Old 08-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So far I've seen every motion mentioned so far. Doesn't matter to me, just lets me know that something is out there trying to get me. Call me paranoid but I slow down when someone starts flashing funny biker signs.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned tap on the top of the head--that means cop ahead watch your speed and make a circle motion with fingers up for how many cop cars running speed trap. Old school.

Quick Reply: Speed trap warning