General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long to fix a wreck

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 02:39 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default how long to fix a wreck

bring a car into the body shop and in many cases you will get that car bike by end of week.

but from what i am hearing, it takes weeks, and even months to get a harley fixed after a wreck.

whats up with that? whats the reason?

i had a friend go down on a basic honda 750 and even that tokk 3-4 weeks.

don't understand?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends on a number of factors. Amount of damage, availability of parts, using aftermarket or OEM parts, etc. I messed up the front clip to my truck a few years ago and it took 4 weeks for them to get everything needed and put back together. Battling with insurance companies can also take time. They'll want to use the cheapest parts available. Good body shops won't do that without your permission.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM
TheBagger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually it's the painted parts that take a long time to get. If it's black or a very common color sometimes the parts are in stock but if it's a rare color or has stripes it can take weeks for the parts.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBagger
Usually it's the painted parts that take a long time to get. If it's black or a very common color sometimes the parts are in stock but if it's a rare color or has stripes it can take weeks for the parts.
+1 HD doesn't put the color on until it's ordered.

Mine went in on 6/9. I'm supposed to get it back this week. All the painted stuff (inner & outer fairing, tourpack, one saddlebag, front fender) is finally in, just waiting for them to bolt it on. And of course, the Clearview windshield isn't here yet so I'll have to put my old stock one on for a while.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

3 people includng myself all had accidents on our bikes and it took each of us 3+ months before we got them back.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was told 2 weeks and it took a month.
For me, it was the dealer holding things up not insurance, they were pressuring the dealer to get it done fast cause they didn't want to get me a rental car/bike (fiance and I at the time had 1 running car and my bike.)
It would have been longer because the dealer never actually scheduled a time to fix it, they just ordered the parts.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My van took about 10 weeks to get back after my accident in 1990. Custom parts and paint added some time but it mostly depends on the shop.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:06 PM
fonemann
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a smashed tank

I've been waiting 4 weeks for a basic black tank for a 2001 FLHT It has two stripes, red and gold..................

Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

My wreck was the last of Feb, got the bike back in the middle of May only after going to the shop (indy) and telling him to either get it back or I was coming to get the pieces and he better have lots of money for my parts and labor ( Yeah, I screwed up and paid him first. Big lesson for me but I wanted him to be able to get all the parts needed) Total cost to repair was about 10k. I won't make that mistake again.

Bubba

Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fonemann
I've been waiting 4 weeks for a basic black tank for a 2001 FLHT It has two stripes, red and gold..................
See post from TheBagger. If it has stripes, just like an odd color. Read that in an earlier thread about the same situation.
IMFUO, it is bordering on ridiculous what some of you are posting about times. Real, I understand that, but WOW!!! With this situation, a guy would be better off just custom painting it. Give me the parts in primer or gel coat, C ya.
Bikes laid up for 2 and 3 months is terrible, to me. Yet another GOOD reason to restore the old iron. I can get parts, which seems to be an obvious problem by the posts.

Quick Reply: how long to fix a wreck