General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:06 AM
dcc46
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

anyone know how long after you buy your bike you have to add an extended warranty? also are they the same price everywhere or do certain dealers discount them.

thanks
Dave

Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some dealers will knock off a bit of money, but since it's an Insurance policy, the Insurer is making most of the money. The dealer is only making $200 - $300 on a 3 year HD extended warranty (they may make more on policies from other companies). I have seen dealers come down lower than that, but only when you first buy your bike.....but that's part of the incentive to get you to buy the bike and the warranty together.

You have until the end of your regular 2 yr warranty to purchase the HD extended. Well, actually, you can buy an extended even after your reg. warranty has run out.....but it gets very expensive. Seeing how some of these warranty companies work, I'd stick to the HD policy. Just remember any extended is just an insurance policy, so there will be deductables when you need to use it (usually a $100)

Last edited by Sam; 08-20-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Gwigg
Advanced

I'm in the process of trying to make some kinda deal now and one of the salesman from one of the dealers that i'm talking to (talking to several dealer) just asked me about the extended warranty. i normally would say no and then get it after the purchase, but like a salesman he is saying it will help with the price if i got it now? right or wrong?

Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Gwigg
Advanced

i should have said help with getting a lower price on the bike deal if the extended warranty was included. right or wrong?

Old 09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

24 months from the SALE date of the motorcycle...

Old 09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

My understanding is, the price of the extended warranty/insurance will stay at a certain level "if" purchased within a certain time/mileage frame of taking delivery of the bike. After that, the price of the policy goes up. I think the reason is, they have "your money" longer to invest before they start taking the risk of anything going wrong with the bike. For the first two years, you're still under the factory warranty and the company covering the extended policy isn't at risk.

As for what the dealer makes on the deal, that's up to the dealer. I've seen some try to really gouge the price while others are more reasonable. I do not think it's mandatory that you purchase the extended policy from the dealer you bought the bike from. I don't know if it's the same with Harley dealers but I negotiated an extended policy on a car I bought a bunch of years ago. It was a 7 yr/100k/0 deductable policy and they wanted over $1,500 for it. I knew of a dealer up north that would sell me the same policy for $800 over the Internet. I brought that up and the guy frowned and offered me the policy for $850. I took it! I don't mind them making a profit off of the services they offer. I just don't feel the need for me to take a total reeming up the backside either!

It doesn't hurt to ask around!

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Last edited by Intrepid175; 09-03-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:46 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iceman336
24 months from the SALE date of the motorcycle...
That is correct. You don't have to buy it when you purchase the bike, although they will try and tell you it's cheaper then, which is BS. I kept turning down all their extended warranties and pre-paid service and they came back twice with cheaper prices. I turned it all down like I always do on anything I buy. Nothing but profit makers for stores and dealers. Maybe 1 in 100 will will benefit from them.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My stealer was trying to sell an extended warrenty on my '07 Bobber which falls out of warrenty next week. I need some convincing arguments as to why I should consider it and what is and what is not covered!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 PM
dkracing
Advanced

If any of you that read this have a Harmon Kardon radio on your bike you already know it's a pure P.O.S.. They cost over $1100.00 and some bikes eat them like candy, some last forever?.. So just on that alone you'll be money ahead with ext. warranty. They also offer an add on policy for tire and wheel protection/replacement w/no deductable. A bad pothole or crappy road out of town incident will make this worth thinking about. Check it all out at a dealer and compare $ at different dealers in your area.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
joe_martin79
Advanced
Cool Document Fee

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
As for what the dealer makes on the deal, that's up to the dealer. I've seen some try to really gouge the price while others are more reasonable. I do not think it's mandatory that you purchase the extended policy from the dealer you bought the bike from....
FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.
I'm in the process now of extending the extended warranty that was on the bike when I bought it 2nd hand. There is a $150 "documentation fee" if you get the warranty from a dealer other than the one from which you purchased your original warranty.

Joe

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty