General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XIED experience

I got my set of XIED's yesterday and immediately installed them on my '08 Super Glide Custom, it took all of 10 minutes. I just ordered them online very late Friday night and I am impressed they were delivered basically the next business day. But honestly, that is where the impressed part ends. Since I installed them I have racked up close to 100 miles. I have not noticed any real difference in heat coming off the 96ci engine, no difference in throttle response, no difference in idle, but I do notice quite a bit more decel popping....not a good thing. I should say that my engine is 100% stock and my mufflers are Cycle Shack slip ons. I am going to try them a few more days and if things stay the same, which I suspect they will, I will be removing them. Why burn more fuel with seemingly no advantage?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Without an open element air filter like a K&N you should have gone with the IEDs.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM
higg47
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EZ...give us another update because I was just about to pull the trigger on a set myself. Now thinking I might do Stage 1 air cleaner and remap to go with the V&H slip ons and be done with it.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Save your money on the remap. I run Xides, with stock mufflers with the baffles cut out, and a stock a/c. Truly, they have made a world pf difference in my ride. I love them and wouldn't ride with out them. The only thing that I'd change them for is a PCIII, or SE.R.T.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:35 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Without an open element air filter like a K&N you should have gone with the IEDs.
so your saying on a bone 100% stcok bike go with the ieds instead? umm

Old 08-19-2008, 06:36 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

They have worked very well for me, as with so many others and you can find over 22,000 hits on crusiers thread that was started for one main reason ,, have you tried them and how do they work for you. I really think there are other people here who dont want them to work for one reason or another, maybe so they can talk you into something else, just my thought. Its a fourm,, you have to keep an open mind.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

Originally Posted by jerseyjeff62
so your saying on a bone 100% stcok bike go with the ieds instead? umm
Im running Xieds, stock air box, COBRA duals, Rush 1 3/4 mufflers, and NO SERT, all is goood.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:17 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been interested in the Xieds since I started paying attention to them. The product sounds like a better solution than the Stage 1. It's certainly not a PCIII or Sert, but I like what I've heard overall. I am not overly bothered by the heat of the engine, and I am not a speed demon. I believe Xieds are my ticket. You guys keep on commenting.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:07 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Other Sheep

According to the Nightrider website the xied's are the correct one's for stock engine/ac/exhaust 2007-08 96ci

Nightrider's unique "patent pending" design to quickly and simply improve the closed loop fuel mixture on your TC96/103/110 engine from 14.6:1 to 13.8:1. This results in cooler exhaust temperatures. Recommended for stock bikes and those with upgraded exhaust or intake.

I got them because I thought they may lower the heat a bit and possible improve throttle response, as some users claim but even if they did do that the decel pop isn't worth the trade off for me. I did not ride today and I will give them a few hundred miles before I make a final decision on them, but my bike was fine as it was before them and will be fine without them if I decide they must go.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buying the XiEDs from Nightrider was undoubtedly the best $100 I've spent on my bike and didn't even have to go to a dealer to do it. For any of you that want a lengthy and detailed (sometimes very technical) discussion about these puppies go to: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/192793-nightrider-o2-ied-s-field-test.html. This thread was started on February 6, 2008 and is still active. There's lots of good information in that thread if you steer clear of the minor pissing match that's going on.

The following was my original post in that thread (June 21, 2008) and a follow up 3500 miles later.

-----
Post 1 - I installed my XiEDs this morning, which was a 20 minute piece of cake, and then went out for about an hour of mixed riding. My first impression is that the bike seems to run cooler based on, as someone else put it, the right leg thermometer and it seems to run smoother and a bit more powerful at low and mid RPM. It seems a bit lower pitched and "rumblier" (how's that for a descriptive word!) Some other threads indicated that this was one of the many benefits of the XiED. Well, your mileage may vary. Speaking of which, I'll be tracking my mileage and will let you know of any changes. The XiEDs are not an HD cure all but based on my limited experience today they're the best $100 dollar performance mod you can make.

-----
Post 2 - I've been following this thread since the beginning and posted once way back expressing satisfaction. Now with an additional 3500 miles on the clock I'm still happy with my XiEDs. Bike has V & H slipons and all else is stock. Out of necessity I ride the Interstate a lot and can attest that on my bike, with my configuration the XiEDs made a noticeable difference. Also, as stated countless times the 6th gear roll on is much better and being able to cruise at 65 in 6th is a bonus in those areas that have 65mph limits. The throatier sound is another bonus. Are they perfect? No way. Are they of value to the average rider who has a stock or nearly stock bike? No doubt.

Just my $0.02 based on my experience. Respects to those who may feel otherwise.

-----

Quick Reply: XIED experience