General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:44 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbphoto
Buying the XiEDs from Nightrider was undoubtedly the best $100 I've spent on my bike and didn't even have to go to a dealer to do it. For any of you that want a lengthy and detailed (sometimes very technical) discussion about these puppies go to: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/192793-nightrider-o2-ied-s-field-test.html. This thread was started on February 6, 2008 and is still active. There's lots of good information in that thread if you steer clear of the minor pissing match that's going on.

The following was my original post in that thread (June 21, 2008) and a follow up 3500 miles later.

-----
Post 1 - I installed my XiEDs this morning, which was a 20 minute piece of cake, and then went out for about an hour of mixed riding. My first impression is that the bike seems to run cooler based on, as someone else put it, the right leg thermometer and it seems to run smoother and a bit more powerful at low and mid RPM. It seems a bit lower pitched and "rumblier" (how's that for a descriptive word!) Some other threads indicated that this was one of the many benefits of the XiED. Well, your mileage may vary. Speaking of which, I'll be tracking my mileage and will let you know of any changes. The XiEDs are not an HD cure all but based on my limited experience today they're the best $100 dollar performance mod you can make.

-----
Post 2 - I've been following this thread since the beginning and posted once way back expressing satisfaction. Now with an additional 3500 miles on the clock I'm still happy with my XiEDs. Bike has V & H slipons and all else is stock. Out of necessity I ride the Interstate a lot and can attest that on my bike, with my configuration the XiEDs made a noticeable difference. Also, as stated countless times the 6th gear roll on is much better and being able to cruise at 65 in 6th is a bonus in those areas that have 65mph limits. The throatier sound is another bonus. Are they perfect? No way. Are they of value to the average rider who has a stock or nearly stock bike? No doubt.

Just my $0.02 based on my experience. Respects to those who may feel otherwise.

-----

That's all good for you, that has been your experience and reviews like yours is the main reason I decided to give them a try......but it certainly has not been my experience. I can not notice any difference in heat, sound, power or throttle response. The idle seems to be a tiny bit lower, which is good, but the decel popping is not tolerable, embarrassing and not worth the trade off even for all the good things you mentioned.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 08-20-2008 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:32 AM
SAS
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been running XIED's for several months and can’t complain. I have changed to a Big Sucker and different exhaust. I did notice the popping during deceleration but that was due to an exhaust leak in the system.

If you have the slightest exhaust leak with more fuel you will have some popping. I ran a hand held propane torch …(NOT LIT)… over the exhaust. When the engine response changed over the exhaust clamps I had found the leak. I reset my exhaust and the popping went away.

If you are running a stock set up you should use IED’s with modifications like in my case XIED’s. More fuel means more air; you are changing the 14:7 or 9 AFR to 13:5.
Remember… If it isn’t sucking it isn’t blowing.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:15 AM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ezriderpgh,

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
That's all good for you, that has been your experience and reviews like yours is the main reason I decided to give them a try......but it certainly has not been my experience. I can not notice any difference in heat, sound, power or throttle response. The idle seems to be a tiny bit lower, which is good, but the decel popping is not tolerable, embarrassing and not worth the trade off even for all the good things you mentioned.
I understand completely. That's why I included the statement "Just my $0.02 based on my experience. Respects to those who may feel otherwise." In the XiED field report thread that I referenced there are a fair number of others who have had the same experience as you. The XiEDs don't work for everybody. There are just too many variables even on a stock bike.

As for the decel popping, that's most often caused by exhaust leaks. (see also SAS's post from this morning) When I first put the XiEDs on I had a little popping from my slipshots and I figured this was because of the way the dealer installed them. It wasn't bad enough back then for me to worry about but the popping has gradually gotten worse and today I have way more than I like. It's not uncommon for the seal where the muffler joins the header to start leaking afte a time even with the clamp cinched up tight. This weekend I'll be pulling them off and reinstalling them using Permatex Copper High Temp Sealant. This should resolve MY decel popping problem. (he says with crossed fingers!)

Old 08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ballpeen
im running xieds, stock air box, cobra duals, rush 1 3/4 mufflers, and no sert, all is goood.
can't consider yours stock.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:37 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
I got my set of XIED's yesterday and immediately installed them on my '08 Super Glide Custom, it took all of 10 minutes. I just ordered them online very late Friday night and I am impressed they were delivered basically the next business day. But honestly, that is where the impressed part ends. Since I installed them I have racked up close to 100 miles. I have not noticed any real difference in heat coming off the 96ci engine, no difference in throttle response, no difference in idle, but I do notice quite a bit more decel popping....not a good thing. I should say that my engine is 100% stock and my mufflers are Cycle Shack slip ons. I am going to try them a few more days and if things stay the same, which I suspect they will, I will be removing them. Why burn more fuel with seemingly no advantage?
You could have a exhaust leak.did you use the hi temp silicon when you install the slip ons how big are the baffles,it could be something other than the xieds

Old 08-20-2008, 12:28 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master

I just swapped back to the stock pipes on my bike and the XIEDs are still an improvement over not having them. I do occasionally make a mistake on thye way home and end up in grid lock. When that happens the bike gets hot to the point that I am uncomfortable, make that miserable. However I don't think even a SERT would help in those cases, you have to have some air blowing over the motor to cool that rear jug.

Did you test yours? On the Nightrider web site he has a simple test to make sure yours are working properly, takes about 5 minutes a AA battery, and a multimeter ( a decent one, not a cheapy ).

Sorry it didn't pan out for you, -Harry

Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Just answering a few questions brought up in responses. I have tested the xied's and they test o.k. I did not use any sealer when I installed the Cycle Shack slip ons because I have never heard of anyone doing so. No, there is no gasket between the mufflers and header pipes, never was. I plan on testing for leaks in the exhaust and also using a thermo sensor on the exhaust and engine, with and without the xied's to see what the temp difference actually is, if any. I will not upgrade my air box to stop the popping, I will remove the xied's first. I'll get back to you after I complete the test.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:06 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Testing complete! I operated the bike around town for 30 minutes, then parked and let it idle for another 20 before testing. Without xied's - front cylinder 295 degrees just below the head, rear 280, exhaust from front cyl 155, rear 130. No leaks in exhaust. Installed the xied's again, took a short ride then let idle for 20 minutes - temps dropped a few degrees all around AND I am not sure why but the decel popping is very minimal now, the idle is still a tad lower than originally and overall I would say the performance is better. Most importantly is the popping is at an exceptable level now. Not sure why things have improved so much but NOW, if things stay this way, I would definitely give the xied's a thumbs up! Maybe there was a bad contact or something the first time they were installed, I have no idea.

I have been running Amsoil Synthetics in all 3 holes since first oil change BTW

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 08-22-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Based on what I read in the nightrider test thread in the tech forum I went with the ieds for my totally stock Heritage. I noticed an improvement in throttle response, acceleration, and exhaust tone. Never really noticed a difference in oil temp and certainly not anything significant. Since then I've put over 4k on the bike in all sorts of conditions and weather and never had a decel pop or other problem with them. I get as much as 50mpg on the highway.

I recently reinstalled my Rush 1.75s and the bike still runs great. Exhaust sounds even better now with the ieds on it. Much more rumble. I do sometimes get a bit of gurgling from the pipes on decel but no popping.

Biggest improvement in heat for me has been switching to synthetic. Definite 10-15 degrees lower.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put a set of 02ied's on stock 08 flht LOVE THEM! best 69 bucks I've spent on bike parts.