General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Lock Lever AAA+

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Throttle Lock Lever AAA+

I got one of these after seeing it discussed here. What a great little product!
Easy install & flip it forward for cruising or just a rest. Flip it back for normal. The amount of movement is perfect. Thanks HDF!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190229594225

Old 08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I just use the 'star throttle screw' that comes standard on the bikes.

I set it with just enough friction that it will hold the throttle in it's set position when you remove your hand, but still being easy to open and close the throttle manually. By doing that you don't have to be messing with the star screw all the time.

Probably some of the newer riders don't realize it, but the older Harley's we rode didn't even have a standard throttle return linkage. The throttle had to be opened and closed manually, and it didn't "snap" closed when you removed your hand.

The throttle return was added as a safety feature to keep less experienced riders out of trouble, much like the bank angle sensor that comes standard these days.

In fact, I've seen many new Harley's at the dealerships sold without the star throttle screw in place. Many people don't know what they are, or have any idea how to use them, so I guess the dealers feel it is safer to just remove them. I know guys that purchased bikes from dealers and they had to ask for the star throttle lock screw.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I just use the 'star throttle screw' that comes standard on the bikes.

I set it with just enough friction that it will hold the throttle in it's set position when you remove your hand, but still being easy to open and close the throttle manually. By doing that you don't have to be messing with the star screw all the time.

Probably some of the newer riders don't realize it, but the older Harley's we rode didn't even have a standard throttle return linkage. The throttle had to be opened and closed manually, and it didn't "snap" closed when you removed your hand.

The throttle return was added as a safety feature to keep less experienced riders out of trouble, much like the bank angle sensor that comes standard these days.

In fact, I've seen many new Harley's at the dealerships sold without the star throttle screw in place. Many people don't know what they are, or have any idea how to use them, so I guess the dealers feel it is safer to just remove them. I know guys that purchased bikes from dealers and they had to ask for the star throttle lock screw.
I have the star & this just attaches to it with a set screw. It's sooooo much easier to use then fiddling with the star. When it's engaged you can still adjust the throttle with your hand manually. A quick flip with a finger & it's off. Very easy.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:55 PM
JnT4Life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool hadn't seen those. The star get a bit difficult at times, especially with gloves. This should make it easy.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks like a nice item, a bit pricey though.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by drfeelgood
Looks like a nice item, a bit pricey though.
+1

$17 and then $20 shipping to Canada......RIDICULOUS!