General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 01:16 PM
NVest
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Braking

I was told by one of my instructors at the MFS course I took last month that engine braking was bad on Harleys. I just bought my first Harley this weekend and want to make sure I keep it in the best shape that I can. I'd never heard that before so was going to see if you guys thought the same thing.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never heard that, although I have heard some old-timers say that transmissions and clutches are more expensive than brake pads.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:23 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Engine braking in moderation won't hurt. Some say it'll twist the new cranks (the ones mfg. since '02). I suppose it would if you were say cruising in 5th at about 50, and stomped it down to 3rd and dumped the clutch. Can't imagine it would be good for any motor to do that come to think of it.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:23 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way I know to come down a Mountain road with twisty's. I was taught use lowest gear necessary to maintain control. Watch engine rpm's and use front and rear brakes as necessary to help maintain control of speed. To me that meant find a gear that holds your speed without over reving engine and tap bakes to bleed off speed and energy. I was specifically taught not to ride my brakes. That to do so would heat up fluid, burn rotors and glaze pads and rotors possibly causing brake failure.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM
JKK
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at 8.8 to 1 compression ratio engine braking on my TC88 is if anything, too good

where do these MSC experts come from?

if you dont believe me let off the throttle and drop it into first while going about 20mph..

(disclaimer: dont really drop it into first while going 20mph which could result in serious injury or death as they say)

Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

+1 on what King FLH said. Common sense prevails. Also road conditions could effect the traction of the rear tire while "engine braking",. like wet slippery roads, sandy etc, etc. It could be possible for you to bust lose the rear tire, but I think that you would have to be excessively (engine) braking though.

JKK
Road Captain

oh I get it he says its bad "for" Harleys? or doesnt work good on Harleys? w.t.f.??

bobcowan
Road Warrior

Sort of. Deceleration against vehicle weight with a closed throttle will make for a lean mixture. We all know what happens then. That's the theory, anyway.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most people ride/drive that way, without any significant ill effects.

Useing clutch, engine, and downshifting to slow a vehice will wear out the clutch sooner than if you used the brakes with the clutch in. Brakes pads are cheaper and easier to replace than a clutch.

You have an engine, clutch and trasmission to get you moving and keep you moving. You have brakes for just the opposite. Use each one for their designed purpose, and don't sweat it.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:35 PM
damfino
Cruiser

If i'm approaching a stop i'll pull in the clutch and coast till i need to brake. Saves a little gas over having the engine rev during downshifts -- plus i just love to hear the engine go putt-putt-putt while i'm coasting at 40 miles an hour! IMO there's nothing wrong with using the engine for braking (in moderation) but i'd rather replace brake pads than clutch plates. I downshift if i'm going into a curve or going down a hill as Oldairboater described - but hey, that's just me

Last edited by damfino; 08-18-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 08-18-2008, 01:36 PM
NVest
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason the instructor singled out Harley's is because he said there's something (you'll have to excuse my lack of technical terms...I'm a little bit mechanically challenged) that pushes against the belt to keep it tight and engine braking puts too much pressure on the belt and may eventually cause it to stretch so much that it starts to slip...or worse.

Quick Reply: Engine Braking