General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hauling a bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hauling a bike

this isn't meant to be a thread about the virtues of whether you ride or haul your bike.... sometimes, a situation dictate we carry our bikes. I'm faced with that next month. my question is: has anyone had any experince with either of these two types?

1. Black Widow ramp - http://www.discountramps.com/black-w...cycle-ramp.htm
2. a motorized loader - http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/ramp-master.html

I've got to do something - I've thought about a trailer - either rent one, or buy a small one. I plan to be on the road for about 15 or 16 days, and I can buy a small utility trailer for just about what it's gonna cost me to rent one.

I do a little camping in a travel trailer during the year and a ramp would be more beneficial.

so, just fire away at me thanks

Last edited by aviator; 08-18-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you decide to go the ramp route, I would also suggest you get a wheel chock. That way you can drive the bike up the ramp and put in the chock and then strap it down.

http://www.condor-lift.com/

Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

oh yeah, I plan on a wheel chock and plenty of tie downs,

Old 08-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a snowmobile trailer for mine, but I haul 3 at the same time if we are going rallying or camping. NO WAY to haul all of Momma's clothes, tent, awning, camp equip., etc on scoots.
We use the fold up ramp like you pictured, for loading 4 wheelers in p/u's. Work GREAT, just make sure it is stout enough to carry the weight+.
The lift is a little different from the ones I have seen on the road, but looks like a decent unit for loading and unloading by one's self.
The beauty, as I see it, is by using the ramp or lift, leaves the truck hitch open to tow the camper, or boat if you are of that flavor.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Gump - cool bike!!

yeah - I want to keep the hitch open for a camper. I'm just too old for tent camping anymore......

Old 08-18-2008, 11:12 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
this isn't meant to be a thread about the virtues of whether you ride or haul your bike.... sometimes, a situation dictate we carry our bikes. I'm faced with that next month. my question is: has anyone had any experince with either of these two types?

1. Black Widow ramp - http://www.discountramps.com/black-w...cycle-ramp.htm
2. a motorized loader - http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/ramp-master.html

I've got to do something - I've thought about a trailer - either rent one, or buy a small one. I plan to be on the road for about 15 or 16 days, and I can buy a small utility trailer for just about what it's gonna cost me to rent one.

I do a little camping in a travel trailer during the year and a ramp would be more beneficial.

so, just fire away at me thanks
I'm sure you've already checked this, but you can steal one off eBay if you watch long enough. I picked up a 2004 Homesteader EZ Rider 6'x12' enclosed trailer for $2000 back in March. I installed the Condor chock and couldn't be happier as I can load/unload by myself if need be. I also like the fact that the bike is protected from flying rocks, hail, road grime, salt, etc. and I have a "portable garage" when I get where I'm going.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

chadriggs - I watch ebay and craigslist all the time for a deal. a friend has a 2006 6X12 enclosed trailer for sale. it has the rear ramp door, a roof A/C, cabinets and 110v lights. wouldn't take much to rig up a couple of folding beds and I'd have my own toy hauler. he's asking $5,000 for it.