General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rain suits. worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:07 PM
American Heritage
Banned PITA Troll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rain suits. worth the money?

sometimes i consider a rain suit. (maybe i am just thinking of this more because there is a hurricane on its way here)

i would think that i would destroy it in 10 seconds when the leg brushes a pipe

i have been wet and its not a major pain, but soggy b*lls and denim are not a good combo over the course of several hours and miles.

i looked at the ones at the stealer, online and even plain ole rainsuits in the camping section at whateverMart.

thoughts ?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 PM
jblevins77
Novice

I bought a rain suit from the campin section at Wal Mart...I've been using it for about two years, and it keeps me just as dry as much more expensive rain gear does, and it doesn't look any different either...

Joe

Old 08-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Fogoms
Road Captain

You've already answered your question: you don't like the soggy ***** and denim combo, so I guess a rainsuit would be worth it for you. I have a Frogg Toggs, pretty inexpensive and it works very well. You'll get a ton of responses I'm sure, but IMO it's worth having one. You don't have to spend big bux to get a suit that'll do the job. I don't have a problem brushing up against the pipes, but if you do you'll probably ruin most rain suits.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to J&P and order one from them.
Bike rain suits are made different.
Make sure yours has the stirrups on the pant legs.

J&P has some good prices.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:28 PM
HiPlainsHeritage
Cruiser
Default Rainsuits

I wore cheap rainsuits from Wal-mart for years. They work just fine; in fact, I think they are about the best value in the store. When I bought my FLSTC, it was raining hard, and the dealer cut me a deal on a nice HD rainsuit so that I could get home. (I swore it wouldn't rain when I left home!)

A week later I was at Sturgis when a big storm was supposed to hit the area. I used my backpad, sleeping bag, and pillow to protect my bike. I decided that I would be able to sleep in my rainsuit. I got on my rainsuit after I protected the bike. I spent the rest of the night in my HD rainsuit and was dry and warm the entire night.

Yeah, I think a rainsuit is important. I have gotten soaking wet more than once without one. When it comes to buying gear, I always buy the best quality I can get for the money I have. The HD suit is really nice. Really nice.

I ask myself the question, what is the best I can get for the money have to spend on it?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The difference between a motorcycle rainsuit and the one you get at walmart is that one made for a motorcyclist has a heatproof panel on the inside of the right leg so that you're okay if you contact the pipes.

I know a guy who swears by frogg toggs, but they don't like pipes either.

As in most cases, you get what you pay for. If you think you'll use one, bite the bullet and buy a good one. My first one was the cheapest one at the bike shop (dry rider, I think) and the first time I used it I had water running down the back of the pants and coming in around the jacket collar and cuffs.

I've had my current one (HD, orange/black pvc) about 8 years. It's a 2 piece and the pants come about halfway up my chest. I like it because once it stops raining I can leave the pants on to keep the roadspray off, but stash the jacket so that I don't get hot.

Oh...and there's one of those "murphys law"-type things that says "it almost never rains when you take your rainsuit", so keep it rolled up in a saddlebag for great weather all the time.

Last edited by Sharknose; 08-17-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where I live it is worth it, but I use cheap pants from Wal-Mart, and let my leather jacket handle the rest, which it doesn't always do as I'd like, but I hate packing more than I have to. It's also nice to keep a pair for when you're suddenly in the cold. Cheap rainwear doesn't breath well, so it locks in a lot of heat, and does okay when you need something to keep you warm, but don't expect them to keep you toasty.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:42 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My full rain suit was used twice in three years. I have used the jacket two more times alone. Unless its going to be cool and rain more than a shower, I don't wear it. On a warm day , in the wind. I dry fast. I just hate the water in my boots. I bought a middle of the line suit at around fifty dollars.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:51 PM
bigenddown
Intermediate

After a 250 mile day in the "Gorton's Fisherman" yellow suit, with the water running up my legs and down into my boots and up my sleeves all the way to my shoulders and the hood trying to beat me to death (but I was careful and kept my leg off the pipes) I finally broke down and bought a bike-specific suit. It is an HD as that was the 1st dealer we saw at the end of that day. I have since logged a few hundred miles in the rain - tough summer in New England this year - and am happy to have spent the $. Getting caught short in a brief shower is fine, but needing to get some distance is another matter. My .02

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM
ragtyme
Tourer

Rain? What the hell is that?

"The driest month in Yuma is June with 0.02 inches of precipitation, and with 0.61 inches August is the wettest month."

Compare that with your city....
http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Arizona/Yuma/#precip

Quick Reply: rain suits. worth the money?