General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urethane riser bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I put the HD urethane bushing in when I switched to mini apes on the Dyna. The vibration in the bars is horrendous! After 10 miles my hands are so numb I have no feeling in them. When I take the gloves off and look, my fingers are white. I think the vibration is driving all the blood out of my hands. I will be putting the stock rubber bushings back in this fall when I install the chrome tripple trees. Strange thing though, I did not notice the vibration right away after changing the bushings. It felt fine at first, so maybe the bike has developed a vibration lately that was not there before. I can feel more vibration in the footpegs now than I recall when the bike was new. I replaced the front motor mount (no improvement) and will check the rear mount and motor alignment this winter too to make sure they are not the cause of this vibration.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ridgid dog bone risers on a girder.
Vibration? Take the chop for a cruise, anything after that is 'candy azz' for ya.
Try fingerless gloves with the gel palm. Oh, oh, I didn't say sometin 'bad', did I?
'nother solution, let Momma drive, and you ride beotch.

I put urethane in the 78 FLH, with 12" apes. I really like the feel. Definitely firmer, but I hate that 'mushy' feeling of the old rubber ones.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I have fingerless gloves with gel palm and I have full finger golves with gel palm. They do not help. I ain't a Pu$$ie that's whining about a little vibration. I litterally have no feeling in my hands after about 10 miles. I rode this bike 2500 miles round trip to Sturgis a couple years ago and has no issues at all. Now if I take it out to lunch, it feels like my hands have been sitting on a block of ice for an hour.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my indy put some drag bars on my Fatboy and have had the same results. But he used the stock rubber bushings initially and that's when I noticed the vibration. I took it back and he put a new set of urethane bushings in with no improvement. My hands and wrists get numb after about 20-30 minutes. I am taking it back to him today for another look see.

Shakey

Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysonL
I didn't use a torque wrench, I don't have one. I know, I know I should but I don't. I had the dealer check them the day I bought it, and watched him check the torque setting and then double checked the the bolts with the wrench, and everything was good. The bars literally had 2 or more inches of slop in them, no vibration, but very sloppy. I drove for 2 thousand miles and had no real problems but I didn't like the squishy feeling, so Saturday I went and bought the H.D. urethane ones. Bars are very tight and rigid, but now vibrate like CRAZY ! It seems to handle better but I can't take the vibration. BTW, the Arlen Ness ones in the JP cycle book, look identical to the ones I bought from Harley. When I removed the stock rubber ones, the bolts were extremely tight, so when tightening back I tightened with similar(feeling) force. Just don't like the feel.
Back the nuts off from jammed tight, tighten them back up feeling the bar end play until it's fairly firm but they still can move a little, see if that helps any.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replaced the rubber ones in mine because of all the movement in the bars and yes more vibration. it's a trade off I can live with.
used to ride hardtail with springer jockey shift and apes so feels good to me ..

Old 08-19-2008, 08:25 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John TN
Back the nuts off from jammed tight, tighten them back up feeling the bar end play until it's fairly firm but they still can move a little, see if that helps any.
Thanks John, I found a T. wrench to use. So if dome one has a manual and could get me the setting for the proper torque, I'd appreciate it a lot !