General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on MMI

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 01:51 AM
denimnightster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on MMI

I am a new harley owner. I have always had a passion for motorcycles and all different types. I started with dirt bikes when i was twelve moved up to metric sportbikes where i have spent most of my time riding now im on my 08 XLN. I will be moving from Fort Wayne IN to Phoenix AZ to attend MMI and complete the Harley program there. I was wanting opinons on the school itself and if anyone has some information on Phoenix. Possibly someone who knows the town pretty well so I can ask about the apartment I am wanting to lease. And is harley service department going to be going to crap since all i hear on here is not dealer but stealer. I dont wanna work somewhere that will be losing job security anytime soon.

PS: Im only twenty years old

Thanks for any help or advice

Ben

Old 08-15-2008, 02:05 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I attended AMS back in 1981, in LA, Santa Fe Springs.....back then there were only two MC schools.....that one and a branch in daytona. Neither had a dedicated HD course, but in those days the money was in the jap bikes. I enjoyed it very much....my first time away from home I was 18. Graduated 2nd in a class of about 25 people. The school had a hook up with a few apartment complexs in the area.....and I had a furnished room and a roomate all set up before I got there. I also had a BRAND new Honda CB-750F Super Sport, that I had shipped out to the school after I bought it here in NJ. The school was alowed to do the assembly and prep through some connection with a instructor who was a SM at a Honda dealer.....this way my warranty didnt get messed up. I think the cost of the 6 month course (3 mo theory & 3 hands on) The school ran a shop where local people could take their bike in, and not pay a dime for labor.....all they had to supply was a FACTORY service manual if we didnt already have one on the shelf, and whatever parts were needed.

All in all it was money well spent, because I have been working on bikes since....I did take a brief 7 or 8 year vacation from it, but I have been back into it for some years now. The thing is though that I was working on mostly jap bikes....and some euro bikes once in a blue moon, but never HD's. So the last few years I been cramming as much HD tech info as I can into this old skull as I can.

So go get it.......you will love the experiance. Stick with it, get a job wrenching in some shop, and go from there!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 AM
girlslikechef
Tourer

I know a guy in the army..that when he gets out..plans on going to MMI In Wyoming..I know thats not phoenix...But he is always talking about the MMI Program in Wy.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:21 PM
denimnightster
Advanced

bump????

Old 08-15-2008, 04:24 PM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Wish I could help from the east coast though.....Good Luck with your school.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have an MMI in Orlando. I have a lot of friends that have gone through the program. It's demanding, expensive, and time consuming, but they do train you well. The only truly negative part about the Orlando campus is that a lot of enrolled students seem to get killed riding to and from class, but that has nothing to do with the program, but the driving of the student or cagers.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:13 AM
denimnightster
Advanced

bump again...

Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

From what I have read,you will only get what you put into the school.In other if you bust your azzz then you will learn a lot.
The downside is that the dealers dont pay very well,at least for starting techs.
Try doing a search here,this topic has been up lots of time's.
Good luck.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone give me a ball park of the costs to attend in Orlando for the course plus the HD training?

Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 PM
codyshop
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jahillsr
Can anyone give me a ball park of the costs to attend in Orlando for the course plus the HD training?
Last I heard it was around $21K. At that rate you are far better off getting an A.S. from a community college for a fraction of the cost. With dealers closing right and left, there are PHD master techs with 20-plus years on the chow lines right now and they probably have a slightly better chance at the very few $10/hr dealership jobs available right now than an MMI grad would have.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on MMI