General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on MMI

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:01 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently on a board that meet twice a year to review the teaching practices and the facility at MMI in Orlando. My son also was a graduate of MMI. I've also been in the bike business since the late 90's and in the automotive business for over 25 yrs. I'd have to say your getting a lot of good advise here. MMI is as good as what you put into it. The next thing to consider after spending the money on schooling, your going to have to live on apprentice wages for a while and that's if you can find a job in your field. That could mean $10 to $12 dollars per hour. With the lay off and closing of dealerships, finding a job could be even tougher. Feel free to contact me at the shop if I can help.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Boz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm curious. If the apprentices are making 10 to 12 dollars an hour what kind of wage are dealers paying master techs? Anyone know?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:59 AM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Dude, I went through UTI (which runs MMI). I have mixed feelings about this subject. Im a tech for a Lexus dealer in Orange County and have been wrenching on the line for 3 years.

You GOTTA know what its like at a shop first before I can even recommend you go for a tour at the MMI campus.

Wrenching on a bike and fixing a problem or diagnosing a fuel injection or digital ignition problem is one thing, making a living at it is quite another.

Would you be able to afford low wages. Would you be able to withstand the physical part of it? Can you handle the mental stress of knowing that if you punch in at 8am some days you could book 14 hours by 5pm, or possibly only 5 hours?

You have enough money for tools? Are you ready to spend $5k on tools just to get you started?

I dont write this post to trash you dreams.... but i am saying look around a few shops and try to get a job part time there and get a feel for the day to day. Alot fo guys can make it in the industry for decades, most dont make it past the first couple years.

$25k in school and tools is a big chunk of change and your only getting your foot in the door. As codyshop stated, there are ALOT of guys out there right now that have a ton of experience and factory Harley certifications that are looking for work and willing to take lower wages than they are worth.

Sit back take a deep breath and look at both sides of the coin. DO NOT take any UTI/MMI propaganda to heart.... they are selling a product to the masses; nothing more nothing less.

Just saying; know EXACTLY what it is your getting into.

And just so you know, I graduated UTI on 2006 from the automotive and toyota programs. I earned 3 student of the course awards, one for Hot Rod 1a engine building and the other two were Toyota TPAT 1 and 2; driveability, electrical, suspensions, chassis, brakes. I put my *** 100% into it and book around 120-130 hours depending on the work coming through the shop. Im personally considering all my options right now as i know Im not a happy guy working as a tech, but for the forseable future its all i got to pay the bills.

Last edited by ebeattie; 07-25-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 PM
HugYourHog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jahillsr
Can anyone give me a ball park of the costs to attend in Orlando for the course plus the HD training?
I just spoke with them yesterday. It's $26K total broken down like this:

- $25,700 for all HD courses
- $150 registration fee due
- $120 digital multimeter
- $60-ish for shop shirt(s)

It's a 66 week (about 16 month) commitment. Monday through Friday, 5 hours each day. You can either do classes 7:30AM - 12:30PM or 6:30PM - 11:30PM. They might have had a middle-of-the-day class, too, but I didn't ask about that. You don't get any breaks other than major holidays. First 30-some-odd weeks is all your basics, then you start getting into HD specific stuff.

As far as starting salary, the admin rep I spoke with said nation-wide, the average is probably somewhere in the $35K - $45K range.

Hope this info helps. I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing next year (maybe).

Last edited by HugYourHog; 08-05-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added class/salary info
Old 08-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I graduated MMI Phoenix in Nov 2002. You can talk to them about finding a place to live and they will hook you up with someone who can show you some apartments. I lived right down the street from MMI, my old address was 20244 North 31rst Ave. My reccomendation is to not live anywhere below Thunderbird as it starts to get a little ghetto, not bad ghetto, but enough to where **** gets stolen......ALOT. Look it up on google maps. EDIT: My old apartments was called Deer Creek Village, don't know if that's still the name, but you can look and it's real close by.......traffic is a bitch there, and cagers really DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE!!!

What's been said is true about starting out at low wages, most shops I talked to when I graduated was $8 plus 50% of flat rate, so while you're there pay attention and practice hauling *** so you are able to bill a 12 hr day in only 8 hrs work. I would say to try and get a job at an Indy somewhere, and you don't have to take ALL of the HD classes. I would skip early model if I had to do it all over again, just because most of the guys that have older bikes work on them theirselves, and those bikes are easy to work on, so you could get a more experienced wrench to show you the ropes on the dinasours. Also, engine rebuild and performance is something that you can learn in the field, so I would skip that class too if I was to do it over again.

I hope you're almost 21, cause that is one party town my friend, especially if you take your scoot down to Mesa where the University is......lots of scantily clad women .

Old 08-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks you guys for the info. I am inquiring to find out real world so I can figure out how to assist my 21 YO son who is looking into it on his own. He gets to make his own decisions but Dad wants to be a good sounding board.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any indication on Finacial Aid amounts for normal folks with two kids in post-High School, school?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Tackdriver
Cruiser

Ok, Here is what I wish I woulda been told at 20.
"If a job pays by the hour, its not worth doing."
Im gonna catch hell from all the hard working folks here, God Knows they go the extra mile, but follow me here.

You say you have a passion for bikes. I used to work in a plant that did chrome and metal finishing for HD, and others. I could not afford a HD on what I made. (Few things suck worse than building products you will never own) Seriously. And I was an electrician. Now Im an electrican with 20 years of experience, including industrial automation. I still cant afford a Harley.

If you have a passion for bikes, consider this:

Go get a buisness degree and own a repair shop.
Go get an engineering degree and come up with some new motorcycle innovations.
Go get a medical degree and help bikers heal
Go get a law degree and stand up for injured bikers.

You will make WAY more money, and money is the fuel of passions. Sux but thats the way it is.

Hope you take my advice.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Brianc9876
Tourer

Sad, and it is certainly NOT a diss of any sorts to others but I hear where tackdriver is coming from.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:21 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help with MMI or Phoenix, but I think there will always be a need for good Harley mechanics. Good luck young man!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on MMI