General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EZ Pass for Bikes in PA

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two easy pass transponders, one for the truck and the other for the bike. To date I've not used the one for the bike. To echo what others have said, the transponders are linked to an account, with a maximum of 4 transponders per account. Using the Maryland EZPass website I can add and remove vehicles, with no evidence of a limit to the account.

As an example, I borrowed my fathers' Toyota Prius for a road trip and added his car and tag to my account. Placed the EZPass on the windshield, and everything worked perfectly. When I give him the car back, I'll go online and remove his vehicle from my account. The same should hold true for any vehicle. In fact in Maryland, they do not have an outside the vehicle tag or motorcycle specific tag available.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks all for the replies, very informative,

I will try again tomorrow to get a live person at Customer Service, if that fails again, I will just get a car account and put the bike tag on the account online.

Much Appreciated,
Buttman1000

Old 08-13-2008, 10:40 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

OK,

Managed to finally get a hold of a live EZ Pass Customer Service person!!!

I was informed that there is a different transponder for a car and motorcycle.

I was told to subscribe online and when requesting the number of transponders needed, to mention that one unit was specifically for a bike.

So far EZ Pass has billed my credit card, now let's see if I receive two different transponders,

Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
iann8ik
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my EZPass registered to my cage and my RKC. No problems so far. i mount it on the windshield on the lower left - no problem reading it. Used it in Illinois on the way back from Sturgis to Virginia.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
clueless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Not so EZ to find info on EZ Pass in PA

OK since I searched and searched and had to figure this out on my own.. here is what I found out by trial and error! and this applies only in PA:

1. Yes there is a transponder that looks JUST like the CAR ones but it has a BIG sticker in Green with Black Letters "MC" on the back that shows up if you read it from the outside of the vehicle ;-) so they know if you use the motorcycle EZ Pass in the car!

2. Yes there is a DISCOUNT only for Motorcycles and ONLY on the PA Turnpike. The discount is 25% of the CASH toll rate rounded down to the nearest $0.05 and will not be any less then $0.55 so you have to be over a $2.00 toll to get a discount. if not, it is just the normal CASH toll rate.

3. the transponder beside having the MC sticker (is "supposedly") programmed differently to match a lighter vehicle so it will trip if you use in your car and try to get the MC discount while in a car. also the transponder is supposedly weatherized with some coating which makes it weatherproof ... I think it looks identical to the car one. I think maybe the GUTS inside are sealed somehow (maybe silicone).. (just a guess).

4. the Motorcycle MC EZ-Passes (maybe because of the weatherproofing) is not as strong signal wise transmitting as the CAR.

5. Yes you can use your CAR EZ-Pass on the bike but you will NOT get the EZ-Pass Motorcycle discount. the Car one does read A LOT better then the MC pass mounted in the same place.

6. It seems best to drive REALLY REALLY slowly thru the CENTER of the lane before you even approach the toll booth. the reader is at the ENTRANCE to the toll booth lane and in the center of the lane (looking for the transponder behind the rear view mirror in most cars).

7. they have an external bumper mounted one that is a long black bar (typically used for mounting on the FRONT bumper of vehicles above the front license plate) ... doesn't seem like a good option for a motorcycle.

8. I have used the little 2 strips and alcohol wipes to clean the inside of my Harley windscreen and mounted it just above the head light and under the cross support bar on the full sized windshield of a softtail. It seems to be holding. I have not tested it in the rain yet...

9. I guess there are discounts for some bridges going into NYC with the MC coded EZ pass transponders.

10. Yes you have to order the transponder for the motorcycle from EZ pass directly ONLY as they are programmed differently and have the MC sticker on them. either online or call them. then you have to ADD your motorcycles (coded as motorcycle class) to your EZ-Pass account tied to that transponder. they can do that over the phone or online as well.

AGAIN this info is for others out there like me who could not find this stuff ANYWHERE on the stupid PA Turnpike or EZ pass PA website !

this is only for Pennsylvania... and found after calling EZ Pass customer svc. some reps dont know anything about it others know... I have been told no discount and others say discount! good grief!

Last edited by clueless; 08-21-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 AM
jdc28va
Intermediate

Originally Posted by clueless
... good grief!
That explains the different MC tag I guess. I registered my Deuce for an EZ pass transponder, and the one I received is the same exact thing as the one I have for my truck. This is in VA.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we use the car ones here in maine

Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clueless
OK since I searched and searched and had to figure this out on my own.. here is what I found out by trial and error! and this applies only in PA:

1. Yes there is a transponder that looks JUST like the CAR ones but it has a BIG sticker in Green with Black Letters "MC" on the back that shows up if you read it from the outside of the vehicle ;-) so they know if you use the MC in the car!

2. Yes there is a DISCOUNT only for Motorcycles and ONLY on the PA Turnpike. The discount is .25% of the CASH toll rate rounded down to the nearest $0.05 and will not be any less then $0.55 so you have to be over $2.00 toll to get a discount. if not it is just the normal toll rate

3. the transponder beside having the MC sticker (is "supposedly") programmed differently to match a lighter vehicle so it will trip if you use in your car and try to get the MC discount while in a car. also the transponder is supposedly weatherized with some coating which makes it weatherproof ... I think it looks identical to the car one. I think maybe the GUTS inside are sealed somehow (maybe silicone).. (just a guess).

4. the MC ez-passes (maybe because of the weatherproofing) is not as strong signal wise transmitting as the CAR.

5. Yes you can use your CAR ez pass on the bike but you will NOT get the Ez pass MC discount. the Car one does read A LOT better then the MC pass mounted in the same place.

6. best to drive REALLY REALLY slowly thru the CENTER of the lane before you even approach the toll booth. the reader is at the ENTRANCE to the toll booth lane and in the center of the lane (looking for the transponder behind the rear view mirror in most cars).

7. they have an external bumper mounted one that is a long black bar (typically used for mounting on the FRONT bumper of vehicles above the front license plate) ... doesn't seem like a good option for a motorcycle.

8. I have used the little 2 strips and alcohol wipes to clean the inside of my Harley windscreen and mounted it just above the head light and under the cross support bar on the full sized windshield of a softtail. It seems to be holding. have not tested in the rain yet...

9. I guess there are discounts for some bridges going into NYC with the MC coded EZ pass transponder.

10. Yes you have to order the transponder for MC from EZ pass directly ONLY as they are programmed differently and have the MC sticker on them. either online or call them. then you have to ADD your motorcycles (coded as motorcycle class) to your account tied to that transponder. they can do that over the phone or online as well.

AGAIN this info is for others out there like me who could not find this stuff ANYWHERE on the stupid PA Turnpike or EZ pass PA website !

this is only for Pennsylvania... and found after calling EZ Pass customer svc. some reps dont know anything about it others know... I have been told no discount and others say discount! good grief!
Great Investigative Reporting Clueless!

Over the last three days I have garnered somewhat the same info,

The transponders for the car and bike look identical to me also, so one has to be careful to place the correct unit on the correct vehicle,

I located my EZ Pass on the lower left of the windscreen as I have a vent installed on my Clearview brand shield and it eliminates the center position on the screen.

Hope it works,

Thanks for taking the time to relay all your findings,

Much Appreciated,

Buttman

Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
clueless
Tourer

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
Great Investigative Reporting Clueless!

Over the last three days I have garnered somewhat the same info,

The transponders for the car and bike look identical to me also, so one has to be careful to place the correct unit on the correct vehicle,

I located my EZ Pass on the lower left of the windscreen as I have a vent installed on my Clearview brand shield and it eliminates the center position on the screen.

Hope it works,

Thanks for taking the time to relay all your findings,

Much Appreciated,

Buttman
No problem. I had searched a while and only found a lot of guesses and conjecture... so I figured I would post as much as I know is true. I would place it on the lower RIGHT so that the actual EZ Pass would be passing as close to the CENTER of the lane as possible. (assuming you ride to the left of the oil slick in the middle).

It should be EZ (pun intended) to know which is which because of the BIG GREEN MC on the back of the motorcycle one. and when you put on the windshield of the bike the MC faces outward.

If you put in on your car windshield the toll taker can see it is an Motorcycle EZ pass in your car (assuming you drive slowly thru the lane)...

WDG> you can use the CAR ones here as well on your motorcycle but you will NOT get the 25% discount for using a Motorcycle EZ Pass. that is also why they do not want the opposite occurring (using a motorcycle MC pass in a CAR).

Last edited by clueless; 08-21-2008 at 04:02 PM.