General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Leather Jacket Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Got my leather jacket at Wilson Leather about 20 years ago. Holding up just fine.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
mackcr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy American! legendary USA has a great selection of USA made leather jackets at reasonable prices. I bought my jacket here, all their jackets are in traditional sizes i.e. 44, 46 etc not Sm Med or Lg

http://www.legendaryusa.com

Old 08-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure, and not going to check right now, if they are still doing it, but I bought mine on EBAY, from Hemp and Hog, down in Sedona, Az.
Let me back up here. I am 6' 6", 170 or so, can you say SMALL FRAME and Helicopter blade arms?
So, after the auction, they send you an email, that has like 6 different measurements you take, with your 'normal' ridng attire on.
You email it back, and in about 15 days, the UPS person (is that PC or what, Huh? ) drops it in your grudge. It was in the 185 - 200 range. (Been a while) But it fits me just like it was made for me. Has zip out thinsulate liner, zipper sleeves, NO vents in the back, tho, etc.

Bought Momma's at a pawn shop in the Cities, she loves it and it looks GREAT, $75 and still had tags in it. (Ya, I'm thinking it was hot, too )

They also rent HDs out of there. For you folks down that way, Beautiful area up there. You're blessed.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:07 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wiscdyna
I've read the posts here about leather jackets, and was just wondering if anyone had any new recommendations. Someone here recommended this:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...919B15D5E3D216

Looks like a good jacket at a very good price. I wish it were made in America. The American made jackets I've seen are too much of a hit to my wallet ($400). Right now my plan is to go with the jacket from leatherup, but I'd appreciate hearing any suggestions. Thanks.
The jackets from Leatherup are ridiculous, as in really nice heavy leather, nice features, excellent quality, and crazy low prices. Yeah, the sizing is way off. Make sure you get one or two sizes bigger than you normally wear. By the way, I have two jackets from them and really like both.

A lot of people on this and other forums love the Fox Creek stuff, and I'm sure it is really good quality, but the point is that some of us can't afford or don't want to pay the big bucks over there. Leatherup is a good alternative.

I like the jacket you have your eye's on - this is the one I got last: http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ket/50125.html The pictures don't do it justice. A couple guys at work ordered them after seeing and trying on mine.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 PM
acid_chipmunk
Tourer

Hubby and I both have leather jackets and chaps from Leatherup. Make sure you check the sizr chart before you order, as their stuff runs a little small. The quality of their products are great. I have nothing bad to say about them. Also, once you order from them, they send you a 10% off card that is good for life.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:10 PM
hdlowryder
Tourer

Fox Creek.
I'm vertically challenged and a little overweight. Fox Creek sent me a sample of the jacket I wanted, I marked it up in the sleeves with chalk sent it back and in 4 weeks had a jacket made to my demensions. Couldn't be happier and the quality is the highest I have seen. I shopped for 18 months do be sure for the money I was going to get not only what I wanted but a good fitting durable jacket.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,298 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Another thought is to buy used,ebay always has Langlitz and others at a fraction of the new cost and used or not the quality is far and away better than any import.

Last edited by Y2K; 08-12-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish it weren't true but its very hard to find a American made jacket for $400 or less IMO. Maybe Fox Creek at that pricepoint. Pretty sure Vanson, Schott and definately Langlitz are off the table, all great american builders of motorcycle jackets.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master
Default Tried any rallies??

Often good stuff with decent prices at rallies and bike parties. If the "wisc" in "wiscdyna" stands for Wisconsin you will have an opportunity to see a bazillion leather jackets in and around Milwaukee later this month at the 105th party. That way you get to try them on instead of buying from a picture.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 PM
99octane
Road Warrior

Try to get a jacket that fits comfortably but not so large that it hase undue leather aound: a jacket which is too large can make riding at speed higher than say, 50 mph pretty tiresome, depending on your size, obviously.
I'm 6'6" and 210 pounds. I rode for some time with my old Schott jacket I got to drive my wife's Z4 Roadster during winter (roadsters are meant to be driven with an open top, bar heavy rain ). It caught a lot of wind when on my Superglide Custom. Riding over 60 Mph was a real effort.
Now I got a tighter Dainese jacket and my aerodynamics have dramatically improved.

Also, get one jacket for cold weather and one with traforated leather for summer. It does a BIG difference.

Finally, rigid protections inside the jacket for elbows, shoulders and back are highly recommendable. They won't save you in case of a bad crash, obviously, but they can turn a fall from a trip to the E.R. to a minor mishap and some swearing.

There are those who ride in shorts and a T-shirt, obviously, but it all depends from the area and traffic your ride in. In my area, with the psychotic traffic I daily ride in, I prefer something more substantial.

Quick Reply: Another Leather Jacket Question