General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATTN Admin I have info on email problems with Vbulliten V3

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM
zuma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now created a GMAIL account and will test!

Old 09-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Harley.Driver
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zuma
I have now created a GMAIL account and will test!
it will work and you can recieve Gmails in your Outlook, work fine to
see gmail setup pages......

Old 09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
zuma
Road Captain

Yes it works fine, really don't care to have another email account, I have several already on my own Domains.

So it is correct that the site will only send to online email services...

I set it to forward to my main account...

Last edited by zuma; 09-09-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:14 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm on about 5 forums, this is the only forum I do not git my email notifications.
I do not want a GMAIL account. My server tells me to setup my account to POP3 and SMTP so the problem lies with the way everthing is setup here.
I git all my email and notifications with all the other forums just not this one.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Donhd04
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my wife has a home based business and our email account is set up through that and is on a popmail server not pop3. and plus I have this saved to favorites at work so I don't have to remember the password but now i can't remember it so I can't change anything in here so now what do i do?

Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
jjd228
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Greetings to all.
To those who are experiencing problems with email notifications and password retrievals, I believe I have some information that will help the admin try to figure out what is happening since they converted to
the Vbulliten Software Version 3.7.1
I saw all the posts about people not getting their notifications, and such, and it made me think. I saw the same problem on another site that had recently upgraded to Version 3 of the Vbulliten software.
It seems they were having the same problem, and so far have never fixed it, and it has been over a year.
Here is the problem as I see it. I did some experimenting with the notification emails, and yes, I wasn't getting them either.
THEN, I changed my email to a web based
email provider, such as gmail, yahoo, or some thing like that, and voilà, I am now getting the messages no problem. I believe the problem to be a glitch in the new Version of Vbulliten, and how it handles it's email clients.
There is a place for admin to edit the email settings on the server, and there are some changes that they need to make to get his working.
The problem lies in the email settings on the server. Emails that go out to web based email programs seem to go through OK, but ones going to any Windows server using the SMPT/Pop3 format get lost somewhere, or may never even leave the server. Admin should be able to find the errors in the email logs at the server level
I did some investigation, and have found that it is a documented problem in the new Version. See here, for information that should lead Admin to the fix of the settings I am talking about.
http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=1691
Look at the last post for the settings in question.
You will have to manually edit these files to get this working.
If this is not correct, simply google "Vbulliten V3 email failures"
and you should find a wealth of information on the subject.
There may also be some issues with certain email providers concerning their spam filters, and also user filters. All users should check their filters, or spam bucket to look for these lost messages, but I don't really think that is the entire issue here.
I have seen this before with V3 of the software, so I think a lot more people are having the same issues.
I hope this helps, and in my small way can contribute something to this forum.
Peace
Rags
This couldn't POSSIBLY be more technically inaccurate. ALL email providers give you a way to access your mailbox via the web. I'm an MCSE and an MS Exchange Architect so take my word when I say this isn't the issue. And ps... regardless of HOW you access your mailbox, email is sent over the internet from server to server via SMTP. POP3 is simply a way of accessing your mail (a protocol), and whether or not you use a pop client or a web-based client has nothing to do with how the mail GOT there.