General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a "team player"

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Graywolf584
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Not a "team player"

Just returned from my first pilgrimage to Mecca ( AKA Sturgis ). About 2600 miles round trip with 2 friends. What I found is that I really DO NOT like riding with others for long distances...when on the road, I like to ride...not sit endlessly in the sun at fuel stops.
Maybe I'm antisocial, but I think I'm just plain impatient. I like to top off, take a leak, maybe drink a bottle of water, and hit the road again. What's that take ? 10 mins tops. But it seemed every gas stop took at least 25 mins. or longer.
On the ride home we finally parted company about 170 miles East of Butte Montana and I got home ( outside of Olympia ) early the next morning.
I do plan to go again, but next time maybe we'll just meet up at a the Full Throttle where the pretty wimmens put me in a much better mood.
Wayne

Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
phat96
Road Warrior

Amen Gray, I'm all for having a good time on the road but I like to get going. I like the views the tunes on the road so let's get going.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

It really is nice that my riding buddies are on the same page. Socializing if for around the campfire AFTER a day of riding.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

Nice when everyone likes to ride in a similar way. The people I ride with like to stop often and enjoy...

Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 AM
mjunk1
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

We got some new members in our little group and they are so slow! It is much better when a couple of us that like to go and go hard just cut out on our own. ANY vacation with friends is always a chore to make sure that you all "align" in the key areas.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Takes alot of patience and an easy going attitude to travel comfortably with others. Found this out on my first long ride (2600miles) with my buddy. Wound up riding home alone.

Must be even harder whey riding long distance with a larger group. I'm one of those who doesn't like to be rushed. We live by the clock enough when we're working. Sure as hell don't want to do that on vacation.

Certainly would have to be some sort of mutual understanding before I'd ever take a trip with another rider.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you, Graywolf. I guess I am a little anti-social, too, maybe. I like to ride when I am out "riding." Taking short breaks is fine, but 1/2 hour fuel stops would drive me a little crazy.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:19 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really doesn't matter to me. I will just go along with the group. It does get kind of irritating when someone is always pushing the other riders to hurry. Stops are part of the journey. Sure I'd rather be riding, but shootin the shiz for a few minutes doesn't hurt either.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:22 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Even in the desert there is shade--might have to fight for it but its there.

Never timed fuel stops and water breaks before. We get gas and drink a bottle of water in the SHADE. Use the bathroom and ride. We ride till when need gas and thats usually set by the guy with the smallest tank or the biggest gas hog. We don't top off the tanks ---we fill them up. One group I ride with likes to haul butt. That gets old after awhile. I get tired of not being able to see the scenery except as a blur. The other group rides at a better pace but the woman are slow at every stop. Lets me get in a short nap. I will only ride with either of them groups when I am in the right frame of mind. My favorite group is an old group of riding buddies. I will ride with them anytime. We leave the women at home to do whatever they want to do and we ride to wherever we want. Usually this is a cool ride with good food and drink.
Originally Posted by Graywolf584
Just returned from my first pilgrimage to Mecca ( AKA Sturgis ). About 2600 miles round trip with 2 friends. What I found is that I really DO NOT like riding with others for long distances...when on the road, I like to ride...not sit endlessly in the sun at fuel stops.
Maybe I'm antisocial, but I think I'm just plain impatient. I like to top off, take a leak, maybe drink a bottle of water, and hit the road again. What's that take ? 10 mins tops. But it seemed every gas stop took at least 25 mins. or longer.
On the ride home we finally parted company about 170 miles East of Butte Montana and I got home ( outside of Olympia ) early the next morning.
I do plan to go again, but next time maybe we'll just meet up at a the Full Throttle where the pretty wimmens put me in a much better mood.
Wayne

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We gas 'bout every 65-75 miles, small tank on HARDTAIL chop. Operative word here- hardtail. "BUTT BREAK, Momma."
And we are always up for chit chat about the scoot. I do ride with the BSMC quite often, and the guys like it when we stop, as it gives them plenty time to yak with others, also. Plus I have a REAL hard time passing a DQ w/o sampling the raspberry sundaes or malts.
Back in the 70's and 80's, I was a bit chompin', git on down the road sort. Guess ol' age and sore butt changes one's perspective slightly.
BUT I hear what you are saying, would be nice to be on the same page with the folks you ride with. Don't you just hate that 'majority rules' thing?

Quick Reply: Not a "team player"