General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a "team player"

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, if it's a long trip I like to let everyone know the pace if I'm putting the ride together. If it's someone elses's gig the first thing I ask is what kind of pace they expect to keep.

I like to see the sites and take a few minutes to rest at fuel stops but not long enough to get antsy.

Once did a little over 100 mile ride each way and one of the guys girlfriends HAD to stop every 50 or so miles. Man, it took forever.

Long rides: Get as many details in advance as possible.

Short rides: Still pays to know the riding patterns of your cohorts.

Primo

Old 08-13-2008, 08:34 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has their own style, but one thing the "I gotta put miles on the bike and I dont want to stop and talk to anyone or look at anything crowd" might think about is deep vein thrombosis. It kills, and let's face it, alot of Harley riders are kinda big, and vunerable. Get off the bike at fuel stops and wlk around for 20 minutes or so and get the blood flowing in your legs. It can save your life.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Hugh Jass
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe a few of them had to take a good healthy chit. Those take at least twenty five minutes...but then again at a rest stop time is usually cut really short due to the cleaniness of most rest stop facilities

Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Cognizant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Graywolf584;3720730] Maybe I'm antisocial, Wayne[/QUOTE

You probably mean "A-social" instead of "anti-social". There is a BIG difference in the meaning of the two words, and although you may deem this post petty, it could one day be important to know that difference.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:32 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a group to ride with for those Sunday morning cruises through the woods. A couple of the guys are newbees so we take it easy on them.

My wife and I can do the weekend rides together ( her on the back ) She just LOVES the Ultra so that works out nice. We just pick a destination and then prowl around the town when we get there.

And then I have one buddy who I can ride coast to coast with. I tend to load up a bit of camera gear when I ride with him and he has no problems with pulling off the road while I spend a 1/2 hour taking a shot. Of course he puts the time to good use making sure his scoot will make it to the next stop, lol. Darn old Harleys his is only 54 years old, you would think it would just run at this point!

Enjoy, cause it's all good!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

It's hard for me to find someone or group of someones to ride with because I don't always feel the same. On the road some days its up at 5AM and two tanks of gas before breakfast. Somedays I don't want to get up and don't get onthe road until the sun is warm in the sky. My bike, my road, my choice. Few things can make a trip more unpleasant than someone feeling rushed or delayed. Best to go alone and meet up at the destination.

I do have one riding buddy that's always raring to go. Spend half the day goofing around or get on and jam he's OK either way. Not too particular about fancy restaurants or 4 star hotels either. Only downside is he's a bit of a bedhog in a tent.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...eek2008002.jpg