General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a "team player"

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I guess if you really have to get there then its probably okay to expect everyone to keep moving. Myself, I get a kick out of talking with people we meet at gas stations, restaurants, etc. Alot of them want to talk about your bike and I'm just okay doing that.

However, I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about everyone's expectations before you hit the road though...might keep feelings from being hurt.

Ride safe and have fun - Hallelujah.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdlowryder
Badinfluence63, Have a great safe trip. I'm from NH and I'll wish you a dry ride. As you know we haven't been all that lucky with the dry riding season.

Mark.
Hey man thanks.I appreciate that. You ain't lying about a wet season. Its been the 3rd wetest season on record. I see a crack of light in the dark clouds and it looks like its falling on target for my trip. Wouldn't that be nice.

Thanks again.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im the same exact way. I cant stand riding with HOG or anyone else. I like to leave when I leave, and make alot of miles. Ill usually decide Im riding for a few days straight and invite a few friends, and they all make excuses why they cant go and makes me realize I don't want them to go anyway.

The one exception is my brother. be it 100 miles, or 1500 miles in a day, he's down, doesnt bitch, and likes to find a bar, drink single malt scotch and wake up and do it again the next day. Its all about saddle time, not social time. Like someone else here said, thats at the end of the day.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:19 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

What a great thread.

I'm getting ready to take my first 2000 mile trip SOLO, and I've learned more about eating up miles than I have about group politics.

Carry on. Sorry for the diversion.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Cajun King
Road Master

I am just starting to ride with a group that live about a hundred miles from my house. I get up a couple of hours early to head north and meet them. They are all retired pilots. True barn stormer types, crop dusters and tree top flyers.

When I get to the meeting spot, they already have a plan put together. The good thing about it is that it is a different route putting me closer to home. I ride sweep because they know the territory. We make a couple of stops along the way and at the last stop for me, I give them all a goodbye. We ride together for another 20 or 30 miles and I’ll turn off and head home. With 50 miles ahead of me, I will be thinking about the next time we ride and the good times to share.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 AM
landest
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just means you prefer to be on the road.... no worries.

Just got back myself.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Graywolf584
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback folks. There are no rights or wrongs here, just different expectations for different riders.
Me, I like to ride when the sun is out and save my BSing for the end of the day. You may have a totally different outlook on what makes a good ride...it's all good.
Wayne

Old 08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

unless there's something unique we're stopping to see, I'd rather be rolling. Now, if there IS something to see, lets stop, by all means. I do 10 minutes every 100-120 miles, for my tank, and that works out about perfect.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Dr_Scoot
Tourer

Long fuel stops suck. I like my time in the saddle riding whatever speed I feel like going. Just got back myself and like you Gray, I spent a lot of time waiting for the others.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM
SPDSTR
Cruiser
Default kodak moment's

I'm usually leading the pack, and early on heard a lot of bitchin' when I saw a kodak moment and pulled the crew over for a group shot... I like the scenic overlook's and the historical markers... but when you are only doing 800-1,000 mile weekend overnight runs with 5-6 bikes... more stopping is usually better...

I turn the rides into short stories for the local motorcycle rags and send copies of the articles and pictures to everyone who went... my fellow riders are more accomodating for the picture stops now... LOL

When I'm doing a big ride with a group there's an itinerary ~ you can't always stay on it but it's a plan. I did 3,000 miles through Mexico with three other riders and two got seperated from two and if it weren't for the itinerary we probably would not have meet up again.

I don't know how it is everywhere but here in Minnesota you are suppossed to ask your fellow rider if it's ok to ride next to them [and share the space on the road] if your riding with someone you logged 10,000 miles with you don't need to ask, but someone new it's a good idea to say it out loud. And, if you can say that out loud you can say "how far before we stop" or "let's all fill the fuel tanks so we don't have to make irregular stops"...

Nothing you all don't already know. Keep the rubber side down.

Quick Reply: Not a "team player"