General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a "team player"

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Hey there from Manchvegas, I'm from Weare, nice to meet you
Rags

Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I get frustrated with the wife when she's a passanger... Why does it take soooo long to squat? I send her inside while I fuel up, move the bike, whizz, grab a gatorade, and browse the store while waiting for her to pee? I don't get it...

Old 08-11-2008, 09:14 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind the 10 min. top off and **** method as long as we're not jammin at 90mph. For short distances it's o.k. but, spend a whole day at 90 and you're worn out. I've got an RK with the shield and just get irritated after a long push at high speeds. 75 is perfect for the long haul for me. I don't much like the 25 minute sleep over though. Hell, you can get a good nap in at that kind of stop!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I usually ride alone. I like to set my own pace and hate being pushed or pulled. I found that I'm much more peaceful alone.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
American Heritage
Banned PITA Troll

if i stop too long i "lose the momentum". if that makes any sense

Old 08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
American Heritage
Banned PITA Troll

oh. and yea. big +1 on gatorade/poweraid type drinks while on road trips. we usually keep a couple in the freezer and put them in the bags frozen before the start of the ride. they turn nice and slushy by the time we make our first stop in an hour or so (i generally stop every 50-75 miles just to rehydrate/have a smoke/and stretch. yea yea. i am a slacker)

Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 PM
SPDSTR
Cruiser

smokin and windshields... yea that's why i got a bagger five years ago... rode back from the big 4th of July Humbolt, IA rally in the pouring rain.... 100 miles at 70-75 miles an hour... no windshield getting beat to hell... my bro was next to me on his ultra on cruise control smokin cigarettes the whole way home... that was it... put the shovel in the garage and bought a Road Glide...

Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Hrtnrse
Advanced

I've been lucky to ride with some good friends and great riders the past two years. Hope that continues. K

Old 08-12-2008, 02:41 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the whole thread and all the responses and they all make sense to me. When I first started riding, especially in my 20's it was the big group ride to like the Keene swap meet from Providence,RI which was organized by the older riders in our area. One group of a ****load of riders (20+) would meet at Kennedy square and there would be 2-3 more locations where we would pick up more people and head on out. It was maybe only a 100+- mile ride one way and most had that much gas. I think we may have stopped once after everyone was picked up and rolling for gas up and one time for gas back. Because of the amount of riders and bikes the stop was usually about 30-45 minutes long. Those rides were a hoot always. There were a couple trucks following behind for riders who broke down.

In my late 20's to late 30's it was the club deal and while not as large a group as the Keene ride and such it was better because you were riding with folks who you partied with, hung out with and generally was the circle of people who had your back. The rolling pack was a lot tighter (side by side) and faster. The times were always better. We had our own club house with pool table, couches, bathrooms (Helmet hung on the wall with a hole drilled with at the bottom with a plastic hose leading out the wall thru a hole in th ewall to outside). A field for parties and those darned mandatory national gatherings of the tribe and weekend once a month parties.

In my 40's it was a good friend whose wife was a c*nt. And the friendship lasted about 7-9 years and we rode to many a swap meets and rendezvous, Laconias etc... In the end I just couldn't take her mouth anymore. If he would of just told her to shut the F up we might still be freinds. Not riding with him anymore was a small price not to have hear her mouth.

Now in my 50's its me and my wife together. I suppose it might be fun to meet and ride with another couple or 2 but some how I suspect its better with just me and her making decisions for ourselves and not having to worry about others. We are heading out to Nova Scotia this coming Sunday, rain or shine.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 08-12-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EvEr34
Sounds pretty regimented but that's the solution we found to avoid all the bickering of too slow too fast, what to eat, when to stop etc etc.
I am able to avoid all of the bickering by making sure I am the only one in my group when I go on longer rides. Then I only have to argue with myself when it comes time to make a decision.

Seriously though, I have gone on longer rides a few times with other people and it just isn't for me. If I want to change routes in the middle of a trip it doesn't require a group meeting to decide if everyone wants to do it or not, I ride at my own pace. If I wanna break longer I can, if I want to gas and go I can.

It is just much easier and more peaceful for me to go solo on the longer trips.

Quick Reply: Not a "team player"