General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fallen rider this morning.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Fallen rider this morning.

Left out this morning for work on the Harley, like I do every morning. Turned out about a mile from the house and there was a ton of police, ambulance, & fire trucks. When I got up close, I could see a motorcycle and the rider was covered under a sheet along with a vehicle with side damage on it. I stopped for a minute studying the bike, but could not place it as one I recognized. State Patrol walked over and asked did I know the rider, I told him no. He gave me a pat on the back and told me to stay safe.

From what I could guess, it looked like the cager pulled out from a side road and the biker hit the side of his vehicle at an angle. Biker was moving on, there were dark skid marks, right at the cager, so I doubt he had time to do anything but hit the brakes hard. Tragic loss of life that would have been prevented if the driver would have looked twice.

1 mile from my house...that is hitting close to home. I could have easily have been me. Wife is all tore up because she was about 5 minutes behind me leaving for work and for a few seconds she thought it was me. Now she is stressing hard because I ride year round and she is saying because I log so many miles the chances of me getting hit are worse. My stomach is in knots, man that was harsh seeing a fellow rider down like that.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Araba Shriner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sorry for this rider, the ones he leaves behind and feel the concerns you guys are going thru.

Cager will most likely get a citation for failure to yield or a slap on the wrist.

Sad, very sad

Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 AM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

What type of bike was it? and you have to put that out of your mind and concentrate on not letting that happen to you, always watch those cagers wanting to pull out onto the road, most times they see you but there is always that one chance they wont, so always be prepared for the unexpected

Old 08-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Double00Aught
Road Master

Sorry you had to see that. I had a similar experience a couples years back. Saw the rider alive, ten minutes later up the road there he layed after having side swiped a big rig. Always makes you think.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

That's tough to see even if you don't know them.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Chaos1
Advanced

With these economic times I am afraid that this will be more commom place because there will be more riders on the road than ever. It is so mentally and physically draining to watch every single hazard out there.
My prayers go out to the fallen and to ask for a hedge of protection for those of us on the road. We just have to hope that more and more people are becoming aware that we are out there.
I have seen that alot of cagers are consistently riding very close to the rear end of bikes as I head into work in Atlanta. I make it a point to ease my truck between the 2 vehicles when room becomes available and then provide a rear cushion for my fellow cyclist. Even crotch rockets. We need to stick together and look out for one another because if we don't ,then who will?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Man, sorry to hear about a fallen rider. Was this in the Atlanta area?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by RDKingRider
What type of bike was it?
Metric cruiser I believe, but it was difficult to tell. Bike looked like it was crushed then flipped several times. There is not a part on it that isn't bent or broken. Worse wreck involving a rider that I have ever seen, and the first that resulted in a death that I have seen.

We heard sirens this morning at the house around 6:45. The rider was still laying in the road when I went by at 7:20. Tragic morning, I feel for the rider and their family. In all likelihood, I have seen or met them before at the local bike shop swap meet or rides that is only 3 miles from my house.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:58 AM
White-Trash
Tourer

I saw something similar to this a block from my house. They kept the guy covered with a sheet in the middle of the road in the rain for over an hour. I think they were waiting for someone to get there to pronounce him dead or something. It was on a Sunday. Sucks seeing something like that. Ride safe.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:59 AM
georgiabiker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
Man, sorry to hear about a fallen rider. Was this in the Atlanta area?
About 70 miles north east of Atlanta out in Jackson County.

Quick Reply: Fallen rider this morning.