General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow....pants leg can get caught in heal shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 08:01 PM
bfreesun
Road Warrior

Happens to me regularly on another bike, but the pants leg gets caught in the stand.
Very scary as it's a 2300cc Triumph Rocket and I don't like the idea of my leg getting trapped under that.

Old 08-10-2008 | 08:59 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member

Bell bottoms can get ya, I was riding back in the late 70s, and had a new 76 Honda Super Sport 750 then. Jumped on to it one day at the "Lot" where we all gathered on the weekend evenings. Going to take a babe for a ride with a couple other guys/girls on their bikes, I swung my leg over the bike, set my right leg on the foot peg, kicked it up off the stand and swiftly tried to put my right leg down on the pavement, couldn't move it, too late, the bike was slowly tipping over to the right, and I just rode it down onto the "mini" crash bar.. (Case savers)

Seems my pant leg had slid over the kick starter, and I had NO CLUE! Until I tried to put my foot down....

The most unbelievable thing is , she still went for the ride with me! AFTER we all quit laughing enough,,,,

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:16 PM
ironhorse
Road Master

Took the heel shifter off the Ultra while still at the dealers doing the paper work.

IronHorse

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:44 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Bell bottoms, untied shoe laces, exotic heels,flip flops, etc,etc,etc. I know someone who's tennis shoe lace got caught in his brake pedal. He fell over at a red light. He told me he learned how to double knot his laces. Some learn---some burn.

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:47 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Brake pedal next?

That leads to the next question. A lot of people removed their heel shifters over getting caught in it. I guess my friend should now remove that brake pedal? Not.
Originally Posted by oldairboater
Bell bottoms, untied shoe laces, exotic heels,flip flops, etc,etc,etc. I know someone who's tennis shoe lace got caught in his brake pedal. He fell over at a red light. He told me he learned how to double knot his laces. Some learn---some burn.

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:52 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I have heard it many times but never happened on me, thank god and knock on wood. No bootleg jeans for me.

Old 08-11-2008 | 01:53 AM
Ole Coyote
Road Master

Hell it happened to me back in April. I took the sucker off right there on the road, end of problem, end of story.

Old 08-11-2008 | 02:17 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ironhorse
Took the heel shifter off the Ultra while still at the dealers doing the paper work.

IronHorse
Thats what I did with mine (08 Streetglide).....well I didnt bust out the wrench and take it off at the dealer, but when I got home, the heel shifter, stickers, reflectors, and seat strap all came off in one big woosh!
I have experianced all sorts of "gotyas" from my boot laces getting caught on the kick starter to pants leg on the center stand oivot point.

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:58 AM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior

Mine's gone too. I didn't get hung up on it, just didn't like it.

Big Al

Old 08-11-2008 | 07:12 AM
tt_ksu
Tourer

I about dumped mine with about 10 miles on it after getting caught on the shifter, so it came off pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Wow....pants leg can get caught in heal shifter