General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPA Regulations For your Lawn Mower!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: EPA Regulations For your Lawn Mower!!!!

ORIGINAL: helotaxi

The problem with the EPA and CARB is they are a bunch of hypocrites. They claim to care about the quality of the air but don't go after the real problem. I'd really like them to explain to me how oxygenated gas (ethanol added) reduces pollution. Yes it produces fewer pollutants per gallon burned, but the the percent reduction in engine efficiency is higher than the percentage reduction in emissions. Result: higher emissions overall per mile traveled. SUVs are total gas pigs but are popular with the soccer moms who the EPA uses their scare tactics on to get them to go along with whatever they say. Sports cars which get similar gas mileage are subject to a "gas guzzler" tax even though they are driven much less. Instead of going after the real problem, the EPA focuses their sights on niches whom they think they can bully without much resistance. They wouldn't dream of trying this chit with SUVs. They won't even tax them like they should. I would like to see an independent study of the percent of "harmful" pollutants that come from motorcycles. They make up less than 10% of the traffic on the road and have the best fuel efficiency of any class of vehicle. If you were to eliminate all emission from motorcycles, there would not be an effect on the air quality for the positive that I can guarantee. If fact I would wager that the air quality would get worse. More people driving lees efficient cars from point A to B. So typical of the government as a whole to go after everything but the real problem.

You make a good point. I have a Chevy Suburban and wonder how much actual pollutants per mile it produces with a 327 cu inch 8cylinder V8 engine versus my Harley 88 cu inch V2.......it has to be more. 15mpg vs 45? Who is kidding who here? 6000lbs vs 650? It has to be total BS........in fact shouldn't everyone be ENCOURAGED to ride a motorcycle and use 1/3 of the fuel? The EPA sets the CAFE regs based on a "fleet" score which is total crap. So you have an "average" mpg number when you park a 6000 lb SUV next to a 1L 4 cyl Chevy cobalt........who is kidding who here?

So, as a nation if we need to reduce our oil useage by 10% why not give a tax credit to motorcyclists by having a gas pump for "motorcycles only" where there is no tax of any kind on the fuel. (about $.75/gal off) as a reward for using 1/3 of the fuel for transportation. How hard would that be?

Old 03-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Cigar Aggie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense but this is a Harley Davidson chat room - take this to the the other room - I wanna see posts related to Harleys here not EPA and their lawn mowers....

Old 03-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I can buy an aftermarket exhaust for my lawn mower?[sm=happy046.gif]

Old 03-19-2006, 03:38 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cigar Aggie

No offense but this is a Harley Davidson chat room - take this to the the other room - I wanna see posts related to Harleys here not EPA and their lawn mowers....

Go ahead.......post away. Nobody's stopping ya!

Old 03-19-2006, 10:35 PM
helotaxi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cigar Aggie

If you think that this won't affect your Harley...

Old 03-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Harley Al
Road Captain

LMAO....I have tears in my eyes....from laughing.

LEO's are real LAW abiding citizens, I see them all the time at Happy Hour drinking when they get off work....and just drive away!

Please...don't do as they do! Beacuse You Will Be Fuc*ed

Ride Safe!

Old 03-20-2006, 12:13 PM
timbo
Cruiser

I have a patent pending for charcoal filtered underwear. It's currently EPA approved. As of last month the patent is being held up over technical verbage stating that it will help reduce global warming.

I should have all the bugs worked out by summer. Look for it at your local Wal Mart and K Mart stores.