General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:40 PM
07FXSTC
|
Tourer
Default Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride

Thinking about going from a softail custom to a road king classic...always owned softails and never road an RK. Anyone that had both care to describe?

Thanks

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:51 PM
PITA
Cruiser

Rented a heritage, tried a RKC, bought a RKC. Both smooth (except the vibes at idle on the RKC), but the RKC was smoother at highway speeds, any wind aided bar wiggle from the windscreen was far less, it turns in quicker, seems more responsive and doesn't seem to mind loads.

Old 08-09-2008 | 08:53 PM
pipewrench
Stage IV

went from 04 fatboy to 06 bigdog ridge back now 08 rk it shakes more but rent one for a day & the dealer should put that cash towards your new bike good luck

Old 08-09-2008 | 09:24 PM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

I have a custom Softail.. Mama has a RoadKing.. Love my Softail in town.. Beats me to death on any long ride.. Mama's Roadking you could drink a cup of coffee at 70.. Awsome bike on the road.. She loves it.. I don't ride it often so Because Im not used to it I do find it a little bulky in town..She of course doesn't..

Old 08-09-2008 | 10:43 PM
icecold
Advanced

...if you plan on doing significant mileage on the highway then you need a RK or another touring bike...otherwise stay with the floppytail...its a fun bike!

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:09 AM
07FXSTC
|
Tourer

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:20 AM
SPDSTR
Cruiser

...softtail is a hardtail look alike with a pair of shorty shocks underneath between the swing arm and the frame... road king is a touring frame and suspension (read air shocks) everyone above is correct a softtail makes a great runabout but if you are going for a ride (anything over 3-400 miles in a day) a touring bike with air suspension, cruise control and a cd player will let you cover ground... if you really want a test pick a city about 400 miles away rent a touring bike and leave on Saturday ride to the city buy a t-shirt get some ribs stay over night and ride home on Sunday... repeat the next wekend on the softtail... let your *** decide... LOL

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:25 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master

RK is bigger, more alive at idle (more vibration), nicer ride at speed, etc. I always felt that the B motor was too smooth. Nice 'round town bike though, although I'd go for a fatty if I got a sloptail.

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:35 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I went from an evo FXSTC to a RK Custom. Love both bikes. Contrary to what many others say, I rode that softail custom from coast to coast and from the Mexican border to South Dakota and all over the Rockies and the southwest and south many times and was comfortable and happy the whole time.

The Road King has more vibration at idle but once off idle it is as smooth as can be. It is a very comfortable and enjoyable bike to ride, both on the road and in town. The FLHRS is lower than the Road King Classic and I like that. I do not think you will go wrong with a Road King.

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:06 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

I always say this is just like driving. You can go down the road in a Crown Vic, or you can go down the road in a Mustang. You'll get where you're going, just a matter of your personal style. And for those who say you need a touring bike to ride distance? I know women who've ridden Sportys from Ohio to Daytona and to Sturgis with no complaints.

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 08-10-2008 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride