General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014 | 01:29 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I went from an evo FXSTC to a RK Custom. Love both bikes. Contrary to what many others say, I rode that softail custom from coast to coast and from the Mexican border to South Dakota and all over the Rockies and the southwest and south many times and was comfortable and happy the whole time.

The Road King has more vibration at idle but once off idle it is as smooth as can be. It is a very comfortable and enjoyable bike to ride, both on the road and in town. The FLHRS is lower than the Road King Classic and I like that. I do not think you will go wrong with a Road King.
I like this comment! I have ridden both Softails and Road Kings and my personal preference is my Softail. I've ridden it all over the West and 3 times to Sturgis. I suggest you rent a Road King and then decide for yourself.

Old 07-12-2014 | 02:07 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

To me the best way to describe these two is; the Road King was very smooth. Almost car-like at crusing speed. When I got on my Deluxe for the ride home it had a "grainier" feel to it. I could feel the engine more I guess because it's mounted directly to the frame. Still smooth but in a different way. Try 'em out and see. That's the fun part. Liked them both but when it came to stopping at a light, the tippy feeling of the RK made me nervous but I was very confident on my D. Hell, I can stand up at a light and not even touch the bike!

Old 07-12-2014 | 05:10 PM
Steve635
Cruiser

Sold my evo RK in 2000, so not sure comparison still holds up, but I felt the RK ride was smoother and more forgiving on long days on the Interstate. Thing is at 57, I don't plan on doing a bunch of long days on the interstate, instead mostly 200 - 300 mile days on smooth 2 lane back roads and for that, I prefer the Slim.....Plus it looks cooler.

Old 07-12-2014 | 05:23 PM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe you can hit the STEALER for a demo ride...That should help you with the difference, unless you know someone...But ya can't go wrong with a KING...

Old 07-12-2014 | 05:27 PM
superman70
Road Captain

If its got wheels you can tour on it. My 18 year old son roge a fxdwg from the Texas gulf coast to Sturgis to yellow stone back home. 5400 miles through hail and a sand storm last year. Without a wind shield. Get the style bike that you want and then go ride it.

The following users liked this post:
BbyDgital (06-19-2017)
Old 07-18-2014 | 11:47 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain

I've owned 2 softails (both springers), and this is my conclusion: I now ride an RK

The softails just felt too cramped and "force" at anything above 65MPH for any length of time. And that may be what hasn't really been touched upon here: the softails feel smaller, more compact. Especially if you're a bigger guy. And they're not particularly great for extended periods on the highway. Can it be done? Sure! I also know of guys that have toured on Vespa's--not comparing them at all, but merely stating that with enough will, one can tour anything. Having said that, and based on my need to hit the freeway often, the RK just does it better for me.

When I can afford a second Harley, it will be a springer softail again--because I will already have the RK. And softails just look/feel the business. But to me, as an "only" bike, The RK is the most versatile bike in the HD lineup. Wanna tour? mount the shield and go. Wanna cruise? Pop off the shield, and let 'er rip. It does it all well. Yeah, it shakes more at idle, and it feels bigger (because it is)--but once you've become accustomed to it, it's not an issue whatsoever.

Old 07-22-2014 | 09:53 PM
amcowboy56
Intermediate

Rhino-1, good way to describe both bikes. I have been ridin an '07 Heritage Soft Tail Classic for a lil more than 4 years now. Seriously enjoy the bike, every thing, it's not stock. Lookin at a few Road Kings, an '08, '09 and a '11. Last one Marlo Sun Glo, not quite 7500 miles. I rode 3 1/2 hrs one way to see the bike. Ride of the Road King was indeed nice, Screamin Eagle exhaust, K-n-N, Stage 1 tuned, then climbed in the saddle for another 3 1/2 hr ride home. Chances are, I will be ridin that Road King soon. The trick will be figurin out how to keep both bikes, that would be SWEET!

Old 07-22-2014 | 10:15 PM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member

Been riding Softies for years! Just traded my Fatboy in for a 2014 CVO Road King. Big difference! Softtail sits low and lean, light and easier to handle around town! My King is more top heavy at really slow speeds like in and out of parking and around obsticals. I need to point this out as well. alot of folks say that the King is not top heavy or that it handles better then a softail but ive noticed most of those guys that say that have older Kings or like a Road King classic with soft bags. I can say there is a big difference in weight from my CVO King compared to a regular older model. even just comparing to a 2007 King that weights like 730lbs my 2014 CVO King weight 825lbs.. Thats almost 100lbs heavier! Heck my Fatboy weighed 730lbs!!! You do get used to it thought and i can say after putting 800 miles on my new king it handles great especially at higher speeds! Pretty much you just have to respect the King more when moving it around.. Just keep in mind the weight difference even between the King models and years from each other!

Old 07-22-2014 | 10:17 PM
T.W.Dustin
Tourer

old thread but good topic. I went from Springer Softail Classic to RK. I am 6'3" 250 and I will never buy another softail. Road King forever for me...

Old 07-22-2014 | 11:47 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

I had a a 2010 Road King and a 2013 Heritage Softail. The Road King handled better, didn't scrape down as soon and felt more stable. The Heritage Softail felt like it was floating on air and was a cushy ride, but scraped pegs in normal riding. Both were good bikes, but overall I prefer the Road Kings ride better. Also, if you're going to ride two up a lot the Road King is definitely the way to go.

Quick Reply: Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride