General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 11:00 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Rent one! Rent one! Rent one! I was set on a RK for my next bike, rented one for $100. Absolutely HATED it, so did the wife. So we got another Softail. Best $100 I ever spent.

Old 08-11-2008 | 12:44 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

A good friend let me ride his RK all over Mich's rough roads before I bought my bike. Then I rode a Wide Glide, and its now parked in my garage next to my Nighttrain. I've got some Fox adjustables on the WG and just put new 420's on the Train and there's no comparison to the ride, the Glide wins hands down. Rode it on a 6 day 1800 mile trip down to the Dragon, through the mountains and back through the backroads of Tn and Ky last summer and am going up to Milwaukee for the 105th in a week or so. Like Pastor said, the Train is fun around town but for me the Glide is the ride for me.

Old 08-11-2008 | 01:12 PM
American Heritage
Banned PITA Troll

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Rent one! Rent one! Rent one! I was set on a RK for my next bike, rented one for $100. Absolutely HATED it, so did the wife. So we got another Softail. Best $100 I ever spent.
very very good point. especially when you are talking about spending 20k. i dont think you can underestimate the importance of "what feels right for you".

whats perfect for one, sucks for someone else. in the end, they are all decent bikes. (not perfect by any means, but there are many not perfect, but good quality bikes from all the makers both asian and american)

i second the "rent" thing. you will know within 50 or 100 miles if its "for you"

Old 08-11-2008 | 02:22 PM
SPDSTR
Cruiser
Talking just throwing it our there...

Originally Posted by SPDSTR
...if you really want a test pick a city about 400 miles away rent a touring bike and leave on Saturday ride to the city buy a t-shirt get some ribs stay over night and ride home on Sunday... repeat the next wekend on the softtail... let your *** decide... LOL
...like i said on page one... LMAO some great reading here... make no mistake these are all beautiful bikes and each fits it's rider "just right" if the option was no riding or push starting my oil leaking AMF Harley I choose push starting the dog and riding it...

...you will only know what feels best for your particular style of riding and your *** by taking a few different bikes for a long ride... personally i suggest you throw in a Road Glide and get yourself a real bike... LMFAO

Old 08-11-2008 | 11:01 PM
07FXSTC
|
Tourer

Thanks everyone...I'm going to rent one and make a decision based on your input plus my experience..

Old 08-12-2008 | 09:06 PM
3birds1x
Intermediate

Love the Road King nice solid feel to it

Old 07-07-2014 | 10:35 AM
insertname
Cruiser

Originally Posted by American Heritage
for me the heritage is the way to go. i dont have 20 years riding like others so i can't speak for touring bikes. my heritage does just fine on lone trips, though i will agree that after a few hundred miles, i need a break.

but then again that could be cause i have not developed the callouses on my *** yet lol

on a serious note, there are subtle small muscles in the hands, arms and back that get developed the more i ride. so i guess its like anything. the more you do it, the better you get at it. in the end its about whats right for you. trust your gut.

besides. no matter what you buy, youll say "hmm... wonder if i shoulda got a ...."
not to hijack, however I noticed swimming works alot of these muscles. That said I was at the fire works last night ( yeah last night, rained out the 4th) and there was a rk next to me. sweet bike. he and I talked for a while and he said around town its a bit bulky but on the on road its smooth as silk.

Old 07-07-2014 | 10:54 AM
Nugget Shooter
Tourer

Ride my FLSTC long trips often with no issues, but then again before I bought it I was still logging long miles on my Shovelhead and the Twinkie is way nicer to my 58 year old frame on long rides...

Old 07-07-2014 | 11:33 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

I traded my Heritage Softail for a '14 RoadKing. The Heritage is a very capable bike for around town, short hops or on the big slab. That being said, I think my RK handles better in town, and I never scrape the boards in the places I always scraped on the Heritage. On the highway it's no comparison; hands down it's the RK. And the cruise control can't be beat...

Old 07-07-2014 | 12:15 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior

"...................

Last edited by Nickatnyt; 07-19-2014 at 02:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride