General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:21 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I have a Road King and I just rode a XBones. The biggest difference that stuck out to me is the softail had a lot more engine vibration at highway speed. Not an unbearable vibration, but one that might get tiring on a long ride if you are used to Bagger.
Beary

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:38 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07FXSTC
Thanks for the answers. Great points all. Time to refine the question...I don't do a lot of long (500+ mile) trips. Maybe 2 -3 per year. I guess I was asking from the standpoint of "How is the RoadKing around town, through twisty's, in a parking lot, etc?
The RK is great around town. I feel as though I sit much higher on the RK. It handles great. The Heritage sits much lower and I have to be a bit more careful turning because it's easy to scrape the floorboards. I would suggest you take each bike for a road test and decide for yourself. I'd be hard pressed if I had to pick one bike over the other.

Last edited by barjbar; 08-10-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2008 | 03:20 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member

Give 'em a test ride. Worth a thousand words fursur.

Old 08-10-2008 | 03:41 PM
reds2harleys
Tourer

I have a Softail and a RK classic. Love them both but they are very different bikes. Love the look of both. But ride wise no comparison- the Softail is great for short rides or bar hopping but any longer ride, 2 up ride or whenever I need to carry anything its the RK. Especially on the highway the Softail gets old quick while the RK is smooth and comfy. The RK is a little bulky at times around town though. Thats why I love having 2 bikes.

Old 08-10-2008 | 04:02 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master

Originally Posted by nodelcnu
that's because Sporty's are girl bikes
wanna race, boy?

Old 08-10-2008 | 08:46 PM
SPDSTR
Cruiser
Talking i like racin captain

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
wanna race, boy?
betcha a dollar my old shovelhead givya a run...

Old 08-10-2008 | 10:54 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

The new touring frame for 09 made the baggers even smoother at speed. The motor felt the same as my 07 FXSTC. At idle the bagger will vibrate more. As it should. The ride and directional stability at speed on the 09's was fantastic. The motor makes about 5 ft lbs more torque than the 96B motor.

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:05 PM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

Pretty much what everyone has already said...I've had a couple softails and still wouldn't mind getting a Night Train, no issues with the ride. But is a my Road King more comfortable....oh yeah.

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:32 PM
American Heritage
Banned PITA Troll

for me the heritage is the way to go. i dont have 20 years riding like others so i can't speak for touring bikes. my heritage does just fine on lone trips, though i will agree that after a few hundred miles, i need a break.

but then again that could be cause i have not developed the callouses on my *** yet lol

on a serious note, there are subtle small muscles in the hands, arms and back that get developed the more i ride. so i guess its like anything. the more you do it, the better you get at it. in the end its about whats right for you. trust your gut.

besides. no matter what you buy, youll say "hmm... wonder if i shoulda got a ...."

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:52 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I responded with my opinion earlier but will add to respond to a subsequent question.

I think my FXSTC is a fine long distance touring bike when set up for touring. I use a Corbin Dualtourer seat, compact windshield, throwover saddle bags, and a T-bag.

I have toured more on the softail than on my newer Road King but I have toured on the RK and it is also a fine tourer.

In my opinion, the RK is easier to handle around town and in slow speed maneuvers probably because of less front end rake. Otherwise, I prefer the laid back, in the bike not on it, seating position of the FXSTC. The RK is smoother at high highway speeds.

Different styles, but both excellent bikes. Either one will take you across country in style and comfort. I have done it on both.

Last edited by txfxstrider; 08-11-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride