General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:22 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Can't speak for a Road King, but the comments about a Softail not being suitable for long rides are horsecrap. I just got back from a 21 day (18 actual riding days)/5800 mile road trip on Reaper (my 05 Night Train) loaded down with saddlebags and luggage - about 200 lbs worth of luggage total - no windshield, apes, and averaging well over 300 miles/day, and including a 650+ mile/13 hour day and a 730+ mile/15 hour day, and I've put in over 800 mile days too, all with no comfort issues. My back was fine, my *** was fine, I felt great after each day's ride. I was riding in all sorts of conditions and on many twisty mountain roads fully loaded up and had no handling issues either. A good seat and good tires are all you need.

This is a picture of Reaper, loaded up, taken on the Blue Ridge Parkway:

Name:  DSC01705-1.jpg
Views: 4154
Size:  180.3 KB

Cheers!

Old 08-10-2008 | 08:48 AM
nodelcnu
Banned

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
I always say this is just like driving. You can go down the road in a Crown Vic, or you can go down the road in a Mustang. You'll get where you're going, just a matter of your personal style. And for those who say you need a touring bike to ride distance? I know women who've ridden Sportys from Ohio to Daytona and to Sturgis with no complaints.
that's because Sporty's are girl bikes

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:09 AM
PastorTom
Elite HDF Member

[QUOTE=Clammy;3715758]Can't speak for a Road King, but the comments about a Softail not being suitable for long rides are horsecrap. I just got back from a 21 day (18 actual riding days)/5800 mile road trip on Reaper (my 05 Night Train) loaded down with saddlebags and luggage - about 200 lbs worth of luggage total - no windshield, apes, and averaging well over 300 miles/day, and including a 650+ mile/13 hour day and a 730+ mile/15 hour day, and I've put in over 800 mile days too, all with no comfort issues. My back was fine, my *** was fine, I felt great after each day's ride. I was riding in all sorts of conditions and on many twisty mountain roads fully loaded up and had no handling issues either. A good seat and good tires are all you need.

I totally agree.. If I was still 23 or even 33 or maybe 43.. But after pushen hundreds of thousands of miles in the last 35 years with more 650 to 750 mile days then I can even remember.... Now...At 53 years old, with arthritus and having those hundreds of thousands of miles under me.. My Softail beats me to death on anything over a couple hundred miles..With a great seat and good tires..You may call my opinion horsecrap. But it's mine..
Blessings
Pastor Tom

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:57 AM
icecold
Advanced

clammy..............I don't disagree with you.

My point was that the touring bikes are more comfortable on long trips where there is significant highway driving, that's all. When you ride an Ultra on the highway, it feels smoother than peanut butter; almost like your floating. The dynas and softies aren't quite the same, although they'll go the same distance.

By the way you look like an efficient rider.

Old 08-10-2008 | 10:34 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by nodelcnu
that's because Sporty's are girl bikes
That comment won't win you many friends around here, even if you're joking. Those are some tough bikes and some hardcore riders.

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:12 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

[I ride a Sporty but can laugh at the girl's bike comments. (Though why do folks keep making them? Old line....) I used to ride old Triumphs, Yamahas, and other UJMs. The Sporty is the HD that is most like the kind of streetbikes I like.]

The softail v. RK discussion is a good one. It seems like most folks buy a softail because they are looking for a good all around bike. Good for sunday afternons, good for "commuting" to bike nights, good for riding to Sturgis, whatever.

It seems like most folks buy a RK or other touring bike when they know they will be doing long distance riding fairly regularly ("regularly" may be once a year to some--it;s a perception).

A Softail seems like a good one-stable bike. While the RK also is, it seems like from what I read on this forum that folks don't figure that out until they buy one. My wife's old Heritage seemed the most similar to a touring bike, but you still sit lower.

No one is talking about riding position, though. The touring bikes all have a pretty upright riding position. There is more variety among the Softail line.

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:49 AM
nodelcnu
Banned

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
That comment won't win you many friends around here, even if you're joking. Those are some tough bikes and some hardcore riders.
comments about Sporties being girlie bikes are mentioned in this forum plenty, I just beat someone else to the punch,,,,,

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:23 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I have one of each. The RK ride is a little better. No big difference I can feel. I like both bikes about the same and they're different and unique. I have not taken the Heritage on a long ride but I wouldn't be afraid to. Although my wife says when she's the passenger the RK has a much better ride.

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:52 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by nodelcnu
comments about Sporties being girlie bikes are mentioned in this forum plenty, I just beat someone else to the punch,,,,,
Actually, with over 70,000 members here, I see that very little, and only then from 2 camps...
those making a good natured joke and who readily admit that...
and those who have no clue as to the Sporty's long, hard core history in the H-D line-up.
Lot's of bad a$$ Sportys on the road today that you wouldn't want to call out.
Check out the Sporty Forum here, and you'll see some of them.
But let's return to our regularly scheduled programming and not hijack the OP's thread any longer.

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 08-10-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2008 | 01:00 PM
07FXSTC
|
Tourer

Thanks for the answers. Great points all. Time to refine the question...I don't do a lot of long (500+ mile) trips. Maybe 2 -3 per year. I guess I was asking from the standpoint of "How is the RoadKing around town, through twisty's, in a parking lot, etc?

Quick Reply: Can you "describe" Softail vs Road King ride