General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Thumb Screw

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:49 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Thumb Screw

Exactly what is the purpose of it? The manual says it's a throttle friction screw whatever that means. I tried it on the freeway the other day and found that once it assisted holding my throttle open it was a huge pain to back it off as I was driving. Seems like a total waste of engineering time and materials.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:53 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Poor man's quasi cruise control. It's easier to use with a lever lock installed.

http://throttlelocklever.com/

Old 08-08-2008, 09:04 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Don't tighten it so much. Just enough pressure to hold the throttle but not too tight where you can't throttle back. Been using it for years. It's old school cruise control (not poor man's).

Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 PM
plane
Road Captain

Well that gizmo is pretty damned cool. My only confusion is will that small amount of movement from the lever allow the throttle to hold and then back off and be free again?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Works like a charm.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 PM
plane
Road Captain

powaypete, it seemed like when I got it adjusted to where it actually did something it took a lot of thumbing to get it to let the throttle return. Do I need to break in the shoes or something by messing with it on the jiffy and not running?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:15 PM
plane
Road Captain

xcelr8, I'll tell ya I hope I can get it work because my right hand continually goes numb and it doesn't take very many miles before it does. If this thing can actually work I won't have to replace my handlebars which would be really nice on the ole wallet.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plane
powaypete, it seemed like when I got it adjusted to where it actually did something it took a lot of thumbing to get it to let the throttle return. Do I need to break in the shoes or something by messing with it on the jiffy and not running?
I had to remove the throttle housing at the grip and reset the shoe for the throttle lock. When I tightened mine prior to this, it didn't do anything. Now I tighten the wheel and it holds the throttle grip until you unscrew it again. For earlier models, while your in there, lube the cables and the grip.

Last edited by Hogwallop; 08-08-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 PM
plane
Road Captain

Just so I understand the function of the thumbscrew. I should adjust most of the play out of it and under real operation I should be able to turn it a quarter turn and it will hold the throttle in it's current position. Once I back it off a tang it will release?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:38 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plane
xcelr8, I'll tell ya I hope I can get it work because my right hand continually goes numb and it doesn't take very many miles before it does. If this thing can actually work I won't have to replace my handlebars which would be really nice on the ole wallet.
If it's working properly, just tighten it (with your thumb) enough to hold the throttle in position. You should still be able to adjust the throttle a little w/o backing off on the thumbscrew. I use mine all of the time on the flat roads of Florida, but I would have to think it's pretty much useless on back country roads.

Quick Reply: Throttle Thumb Screw