General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Thumb Screw

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plane
Just so I understand the function of the thumbscrew. I should adjust most of the play out of it and under real operation I should be able to turn it a quarter turn and it will hold the throttle in it's current position. Once I back it off a tang it will release?
correct.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Nutbush
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy called it ScrewsControl. LMAO

BTW, it's pretty much useless in the mountains around here.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:21 AM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I found out that there is a correlation between the throttle return cable and the thumb screw. After continually adjusting the cable I could get different effects on the thumbscrew. I think I'm close but not quite right.

Obviously I had to do the left, center, right test to make sure the throttle snaps back but even after that I could get different effects on the thumbscrew.

Tis a very weird relationship me thinks...wish a tech could eloborate on the thumbscrew because the service manual doesn't even address it.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:41 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Most of us over the hill old-timers like it just fine. For you who don't think it is useful on mountain or country roads, well it is more useful there than cruise control. I never have mine completely off.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:53 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might have to revisit his product again, mine was from another company and no matter how tight is was , as soon as I got going the vibration would release the hold on the throttle so my wrist had no relief. Much less expensive that cruise control.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:45 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Do not waste your time bashing one fine cruise control.I have always loved that little device.No better way to ride hands free.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If I tighten mine just enough that the throttle won't back off by itself I can cruise along. If I want to shut down the throttle I don't mess with the screw. I just grab the grip and twist the throttle off. It just adds enough friction so the throttle will stay where I put it, but I can still easily move the throttle. It's nice for the highway.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like a total waste of engineering time and materials.
If you think the current implementation is a pain, be glad you weren't riding in the shovelhead/ironhead days. It was a smaller metal thumbscrew that was even more difficult to set.

That said, if adjusted correctly, you should be able to just slide your thumb down, give it a half turn, and it will provide enough drag to hold the throttle position (but not so much that you can't manually override it and throttle down if need be).

Old 08-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Mr Zip
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on really long rides, its a good little deal. Good enough I dont think i'd really care to spend the money for a cruise control.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Lightbulb

Get a throttle rocker, or Cramp buster, it was the first thing I bought and I will never go back.

xcelr8, I'll tell ya I hope I can get it work because my right hand continually goes numb and it doesn't take very many miles before it does. If this thing can actually work I won't have to replace my handlebars which would be really nice on the ole wallet.

Quick Reply: Throttle Thumb Screw