General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Stop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:50 PM
BluegrassBuck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Stop?

I have this question no one has been able to answer yet. Maybe one of the LEO's in this group knows the answer.

I hear the DMV test now (I've had my MC license since 1980) has turns etc. where you are not supposed to put your foot down. I've read the drivers manual and the MC manual and still didn't find the answer.

Here's the question: Do you have to put your foot down to be considered a complete stop for let's say for a right-turn-on-red? I usually do not put my foot down if the coast is clear.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Loch
Tourer
Default RE: Complete Stop?

If I see a LEO I make a clear stop with both feet down. If I don’t see any traffic or a LEO it’s the old California roll through for me. My father does the Cali roll through if nothing is around but always touches a toe quick with one foot.

I would bet money that in the eyes of the law you need at least one foot down and the bike stopped to be considered a complete stop. The DMV or riders edge test where you turn without putting your foot down is a totally different thing.

Old 03-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BluegrassBuck

I have this question no one has been able to answer yet. Maybe one of the LEO's in this group knows the answer.

I hear the DMV test now (I've had my MC license since 1980) has turns etc. where you are not supposed to put your foot down. I've read the drivers manual and the MC manual and still didn't find the answer.

Here's the question: Do you have to put your foot down to be considered a complete stop for let's say for a right-turn-on-red? I usually do not put my foot down if the coast is clear.
Had a friend fail his road test,just for that very thing.Came to a stop sign,did not put his feet down.Pretty much came to a complete stop(split sec.)& continued.Thats why he failed

Old 03-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah I used to pull up to stop sign, tach it once and pull out Cop saw me, pulled over, wrote me up for not coming to a complete stop. I argued I was at a complete stop but before I lost balance I pulled out, He explained one foot needs to touch the ground for a complete stop. At least in Pa that is. Got points and everything Sucked big time, same as if I ran it.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Headwolf

Oh yeah I used to pull up to stop sign, tach it once and pull out Cop saw me, pulled over, wrote me up for not coming to a complete stop. I argued I was at a complete stop but before I lost balance I pulled out, He explained one foot needs to touch the ground for a complete stop. At least in Pa that is. Got points and everything Sucked big time, same as if I ran it.
When I go to biker rallys,parties,whatever.I like to get into the slow races.Last one over the finish line wins.Got pretty good at keeping it up(no wise cracks please),before I have to put my feet down..Ican come to a complete stop & stay for a second or two,before I either go or put my feet down.But it's the law,a least one foot on the ground for a complete stop.I think pretty much in every state

Old 03-17-2006, 05:28 PM
timbo
Cruiser

Simply put, when the tires have ceased to rotate that is considered a stop at least around here. Now if you can stop (no tire rotation) the bike at a stop sign without putting your foot down then my hats off to ya. And of course, have a nice day.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BluegrassBuck

I've read the book..it says a complete stop. That pretty much requires a foot down, don't ya think??

Old 03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In California DMV test you must put your feet down to make a complete stop. To avoid this just take the MSF course it much easier to pass and you will learn some great techniques.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:27 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And don't forget that some localities / states require both feet on the ground.

A one foot stop at Sturgis will allow you to add funds to the city coffers.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:37 PM
100yrfatboy
Road Captain

This topic has come up many times around friends and law enforcement. The most legal desription I saw stated something to this effect.You must come to a complete stop. A ceace of motion and while in that state of stop be able to check for safe conditions to proceed. My wording is not exact, but you get the idea. I don't think the best slow race winner could actually do that and never put down a foot. Now I am extrememly guilty. I rarely put a foot down. What has worked twice for me. I have all but stopped, looking as I almost stopped and see an officer as I pull away. I give him a good solid nod. Letting him think I saw him all along. It has worked twice, with no ticket, But I was all BUT stopped. Just lucky maybe!

Quick Reply: Complete Stop?