General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Stop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Complete Stop?

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

And don't forget that some localities / states require both feet on the ground.

A one foot stop at Sturgis will allow you to add funds to the city coffers.
Observation or first hand experience?

Old 03-17-2006, 07:47 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you make a complete stop, even without putting your feet down, and then continue and a Cop gives you a ticket. Then he's just a rookie or a jerk. We all know that many intersections can be cleared even before you reach the corner and the law demands the way is clear and you make a clear and complete stop. It can be done without much effort.

my .02

Old 03-18-2006, 12:18 AM
wvrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a little off the topic, but...I was driving home from work the other day. State cop in front of me. I'm going about 58 mph. Cop starts to pull away. By the time I get a few miles up the road, he is over a half mile in front of me (damn, he's really moving). He then hits his lights, does a 180 and goes after a car coming the other way. I would quess for speeding. Now how fast was the cop going at the rate he was pulling away from me??? Yet this JERK has the nerve to go after someone else. I was so pissed, I almost turned around and went after him. Those are the people who don't belong in that possition of authority. They are the ones that help to give cops a bad name. And unfortunately, they are everywhere. P.S. I didn't mean to **** off any LEO's here. Unless of course, this discribes you. In which case you should be ashamed.

Old 03-18-2006, 12:38 AM
The Punisher
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: wvrider

This is a little off the topic, but...I was driving home from work the other day. State cop in front of me. I'm going about 58 mph. Cop starts to pull away. By the time I get a few miles up the road, he is over a half mile in front of me (damn, he's really moving). He then hits his lights, does a 180 and goes after a car coming the other way. I would quess for speeding. Now how fast was the cop going at the rate he was pulling away from me??? Yet this JERK has the nerve to go after someone else. I was so pissed, I almost turned around and went after him. Those are the people who don't belong in that possition of authority. They are the ones that help to give cops a bad name. And unfortunately, they are everywhere. P.S. I didn't mean to **** off any LEO's here. Unless of course, this discribes you. In which case you should be ashamed.
First off let me answer your question wvrider. Do you know where the cop was going when he sped away from you? Do you know if he had just received a radio call that required a response where he needed to increase his speed yet using lights and sirens were not appropriate? You don't. Everyday officers get calls like these that require them to travel at speeds greater than that which you are allowed to drive, it does not make him a jerk. While responding to that call he may have been told to disregard by an officer who was closer to the call than he was, and while doing so spotted the speeder going the other way and made the lawful decision to turn around and stop them. All I can say is you have no clue what is going on inside of the officers car or on his radio. So don't make decisions when you don't know the facts. Oh and another thing, don't ever turn around and go after a Cop doing his job it's only going to get you into trouble.

Now to answer the question this thread was started for. A stop is a complete ceasation of motion. When you take your test at the MVA for your MC License here in MD when you do your quick brake and stop exercise you must put at least one foot on the ground or you fail. It is possible to stop a motorcycles movement for brief second without losing your balance at a stop sign and continue. I have seen numerous riders do this and I have never stopped them and given them a ticket. However if it does not look like they even made an attempt to stop and just roll right through the stop sign and into the intersection they are going to get written. Not only is that a danger to themselves but to everybody else approaching that instersection. Rider want to always blame accident on the cages that don't see them. Well if your gonna roll a stop sign plan on getting hit someday it's gonna happen.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:33 AM
wvrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well ,"bigdog" I'll just asume your one of "them". First of all, I never said he SPED away. At first he gadually pulled away. The farther he got, the more the distance started to increase. Second, I live in a rural area and know many of the cops around here. I see them in their personal cars as well. And guess what? they still drive like they own the road. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck so please don't feed me that "he may have been on a call" line of BS. That's it, enough said, case closed, thank you very much, have a nice day, sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:45 AM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member

Here's a funny one.

I was driving down one of our main arteries one day and I was behind a gray Buick with expired plates. I followed the car for about half a mile while running the plates before I was going to pull it over. I noticed the name of the driver, address of the driver and if they were valid. Right before I was going to pull it over, we stopped at a redlight. I waited and heard a call go out for a Burglary with the door still open but not checked yet. I was close and it did not go out as a Burglary in progress. Well, I disregarded the Buick and heard another unit almost there. So, I flashed my lights just to get through the lights and sped up pretty quickly and shut my lights off as soon as I got through the intersection. Well, I found out later that the driver of the Buick (evidentally wrote down my car number and had called in on HER cellphone to the night supervisor) that an Officer was *****-nilly going through redlights. She assumed I was going home or to eat. She lived in my beat so I thought that I would go to her residence and explain my actions for public relations if nothing else and I recognized the name so I thought I might stop by and "remind" her of her expired plates. Well, while enroute, I noticed something familiar as I was going to her residence. When I knocked on the door, I was greeted by a very nice and thankful elderly woman that I knew. She asked me in and asked me why I was at her residence again after I had cleared her residence of intruders and taken a report the night before. I explained to her that someone from this residence was inquiring why I had came to her residence in such a hurry. Then a white female came from upstairs wondering why the Police were here again. I then asked her her name and she gave it to me. I explained to the white female that she had called about me running redlights for no reason and that, in fact, I WAS ENROUTE HERE to her mothers home to check for burglars and that is why I was in a hurry. She got pretty redfaced and apologized profusely. I told her it was ok and that we don't go lights and sirens for everything and that we must "expedite" at times for reasons the public may not understand. She understood and was very nice. As a matter of fact, she wrote a letter of apology to my Capt..

I forgot all about reminding her of the plates but if I see it again, I will probably give her a warning. If I see her again after a warning, I will then ticket her.

Yea, I know, "Mean Cop! Ticket a girl" Oh well.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:47 AM
YankeeBob
Cruiser

If she flashed you her boobies, would you let her off the hook with a smile, ticket her anyways and let her know her clothing was loose, or arrest her for indecent exposure? [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 03-18-2006, 12:14 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

I notice that most of the LEOs on here are silent. I can't speak for them, but I can respond. Seems to me that some people's combative attitude is displayed through an arrogant behavior that just may nominate them to be selected for enforcement.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/9ACD2B879E834AE399E493A457341D06.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-18-2006, 01:27 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: YankeeBob

If she flashed you her boobies, would you let her off the hook with a smile, ticket her anyways and let her know her clothing was loose, or arrest her for indecent exposure? [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
THIS is where "Officer Discretion" comes to play. I don't know until I am in that certain circumstance. That's when I would decide what I would do.

(but hey, if she's going to flash 'em, I won't close my eyes) LOL!

Old 03-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SpeedsterX

ORIGINAL: YankeeBob

THIS is where "Officer Discretion" comes to play. I don't know until I am in that certain circumstance. That's when I would decide what I would do.

(but hey, if she's going to flash 'em, I won't close my eyes) LOL!
This is dangerous territory for a LEO. My son keeps his pocket voice recorder running during stops to keep his backside covered. [:@]

Quick Reply: Complete Stop?