Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the Old Timers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
classicruizer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the Old Timers

I know a lot about HD, the bikes, the company, the lifesyle, etc. However I have recently ran into a question about the pre AMF models. Prior to 1969, (prior to me), I have found very little in reference to production. The question I have is before the merger, did Harley produce a bike at mid-year? Example: my 07 was actually built in August of 2006. I was under the impression that it was always this way. As I have done my homework and know that Harley did not have a serial number on the frame, but only the motor unti 1970.&nbsp\\;In the late 60's over 5000 of the FLH's were produced and the engine number was consecutive. Did that number start on January 1st. I hope some of you older guys may remember and can answer my question. Thanks and I look forward to a response.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question for the Old Timers

Iam a Grey Beard, an no I dont have a clue. Go to HD museum info, think the oldddd guy there will know&nbsp\\;l.ray[sm=biker.gif]

Old 08-05-2008, 04:57 PM
classicruizer
Novice
Default RE: Question for the Old Timers

I soo didn't want it to sound that way! Let me rephrase that, Anyone that can remember the older Harleys

Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by classicruizer
I soo didn't want it to sound that way! Let me rephrase that, Anyone that can remember the older Harleys
Remember 'em, Hell, that's all I own.
Imagine that, a guy with "CLASSIC" as his screen name, looking for "OLD FARTS" - LMFAO(No offense inteneded OR taken)
To the best of my very limited knowledge, I don't have a real clue, either. Harley has always had a rep of doing the odd or different.
1984 - produce a shovelhead, UNTIL you run out of shovelhead motors, then make EVO's out of 'em. Except for those few left in the back corner, make 1985 FLHP (Cop bike) shovelheads out of those. I am not sure what date is the cut off for a model year, but any models produced for, let's say, 66, had 66 as the first # in the serial. Since AMF, all bets are off, and the MoCo has never been the same. But I am fairly certain the model year DID NOT revolve around the Julian calendar, ie Jan 1.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:10 PM
classicruizer
Novice

I'm just totally catching hell from this post. Maybe something like, if you ride an Ultra Classic then please read this question? No, that doesn't fit anymore. How bout if you have burn scars on the inside of your right calf, please read this post, or if you take alot of pain killers for lower back problems, if you've ever wore a leather helmet. Well anyway, I don't really know about all this political correctness. You'll just have to forgive me and find me an answer. Thanks and be safe.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by classicruizer
I'm just totally catching hell from this post. Maybe something like, if you ride an Ultra Classic then please read this question? No, that doesn't fit anymore. How bout if you have burn scars on the inside of your right calf, please read this post, or if you take alot of pain killers for lower back problems, if you've ever wore a leather helmet. Well anyway, I don't really know about all this political correctness. You'll just have to forgive me and find me an answer. Thanks and be safe.
Helluva NICE try for a SAVE there, Classic. Got the burns, don't ride an Ultra (anymore), and on top of that, I already read the post.
BTW - catching chit? Welcome to the Forum.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM
powaypete
Road Master

Wish I could, but the 70's were good to me. Taking a guess, I'd say just like the rest of US manufacturers (Ford, GM, Dodge, etc.) in Nov.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,518 Posts

I can tell you that my 49 EL was put together sometime in October 48, this from date code information of the heads, cylinders, kicker cover, tranny box. As a kid I remember that MoCo seemed to have the new models in late September (or maybe it was just me cause that was start of school and I was wanting to ride my K model and not be in school).

And, there were over 36K Electra Glides built from 65-69...a bit more than your numbers. I would be surprised if even a third of that total is still on the road.

Not sure at what point MoCo stopped using date codes. In the early days they even date coded the rims!

It was not until the mid 70s that MoCo switched to using the Julian calendar (Jan 1 = 1; December 31 = 365) on lower case numbers. If you knew how to read the info you could actually determine the day and month of your build.

And in accordance with popular vernacular, we are not old, we are just a bit used up

Last edited by panz4ever; 08-06-2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-06-2008, 06:50 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've adopted a saying that I got from my dad.

I REFUSE to be called a senior citizen. I'm an an old fart and damn proud of it.

He would tell this to anyone and anywhere (trust me on this one) who asked about senior discounts or just commented on age in general. He passed many years ago and now I have become the flag bearer.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

You can get "some" info from here: http://mypage.iusb.edu/~bbryner/hrlypage.html
It won't answer your question, though!

As to how they did things, I can give you an example from the model year 1978. My Dad ordered a 1978 FLH with a 3 speed/reverse transmission, hand shift, rocker clutch. I think he ordered it in October, and picked the bike up in December of 1977. It had points ignition, and also had some of the anniversary edition trim on it. It appears to have been a cop bike with a 4 speed hand shift tranny in it, and the tanks were originally white, while the fenders were originally black. The MoCo painted black directly over the white on the tanks, and it started peeling almost immediately. It also had grease residue in the pogo seat hole in the frame, meaning it probably originally had the cop solo seat, but had the standard FL type seat (think fat FX style seat) when it was delivered. So the production year started before the model year, and HD glommed onto whatever was at hand to put it together.

It also went 125,000 miles before needing a top end, and over 200,000 miles before needing a bottom end. The tranny was still in great shape. I got it in 1981 with 900 miles on it, and sold it in 1999 with around 220,000 miles on it. New it was $3945, and I sold it completely torn down for $3000. I rode it over 40,000 miles the first 9 months I had it - on the road traveling around the country with no job, no worries, and plenty of cash.

Quick Reply: Question for the Old Timers