General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gps or "wing it"... a question for the ages

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:06 AM
meccariello
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gps or "wing it"... a question for the ages

so yesterday, my woman and i decide to go for a 7 hour ride. we didnt pland on doing 7 hours, we just got lost (florida at noon is miserable). frankly i enjoyed being lost though there are a few backwoods redneck towns in florida that you dont want to be caught dead in... even if you are white.
&nbsp\\;
sometimes i consider a gps. but then doesnt that take the fun out of taking a wrong turn and discovering some backroad that even the locals forgot about when they put in that new "4 lane (as they call it up near the nantahala national forest in north carolina)
&nbsp\\;
on the downside you can get lost on state road 3.14a and have to ask&nbsp\\;crazy *** farmer phil for a gallon of gas and hope he doesnt blow your head off thinking that you are a cow poacher.
&nbsp\\;
so what are your thoughts. gps and miss the undiscovered country&nbsp\\;or just wing it and hope you dont end up starring in a real life slasher filmbecause you went to the wrong house on the hill

Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Monochrome
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gps or "\\;wing it"\\;... a question for the ages

never felt the need for GPS. I like looking at maps and planning. Then if I was touring different countries I think I might want one, but then again...

Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: gps or "wing it"... a question for the ages

I live on SR 314A near Ocala, lol. I didn't think I wanted a GPS either, but my wife got me one. I would not go without one now. I love my Zumo!

Old 08-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: gps or "\\\\\\;wing it"\\\\\\;... a question for the ages

No GPS advance planning with online maps if I am going long distance otherwise it can be nice getting lost on the local county roads and finding new routes to take

Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM
drfeelgood
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: gps or "\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;wing it"\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;... a question for the ages

No GPS for me, I prefer winging it or for long trips planning in advance and using a map along the trip.&nbsp\\; I've tried GPS, just not for me.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:00 PM
2kanzam
Tourer
Default RE: gps or "\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;wing it"\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;... a question for the ages

I've come across some of the coolest places/ people/ things just by taking a wrong turn!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: gps or "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;wing it"\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;...

I have used maps long before any GPS existed. Had no problems then and do not have any now. Love my maps!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 PM
kered
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i used to use a gps and loved it but i went down about 4 months ago and broke the gps mount i made so ive been winging it for a while...even when i had the gps it was just to look on it to find twisty roads, roads i didnt know about, or to find the quickest way home...most of my rides are just random and i have no idea where im going...i just randomly take random roads and ride exploring

Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 PM
ragtyme
Tourer

I like looking at the technology before the ride. I check the route on google maps, then look at specific destinations via google earth.
But I can't see having the electromap on while riding....I'd be staring at it instead of the scenery.
Thers a pennys worth.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maps are great for "big picture" viewing and planning. IMO, the best feature of a GPS is after exploring you can hit the "take me home" feature and go directly to where you need to be. Just set "home" to motel, main road whatever.

Quick Reply: gps or "wing it"... a question for the ages