General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethonol blends,good,bad,harmful to v-tvins?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 02:32 AM
RRDube2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethonol blends,good,bad,harmful to v-tvins?

I've been pullin' up to the pumps and seeing more and more
gas stations selling 10%-15% ethonal blended gas.Is it o.k. to
run this?What are pros n' cons?Name:  2005_1002setb0036.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  95.9 KB

Old 03-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Ethonol blends,good,bad,harmful to v-tvins?

You should avoid ethanol like the plague. It is not good for your motor at all. Here in Illinois it's everywhere except for the big brand stations like BP. I run premium all the time. The higher the octane the better.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:09 AM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does not the MOCO claim that ethanol blends up to 10% are acceptable but any methanol is unacceptable? At least on the 06 models.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:16 AM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Throughout the past several years, articles about this "alternative fuel" have been published in leading automobile magazines. For the most part, the studies which have been independent of funding bias have come down on the negative side of using such fuels. The main reason, as I understand it, is that the ethanol is not as clean burning as fossil fuel, and it leaves a residue which can really mess up your engine. The suggestion is to run a good quality fuel injector cleaner through the system every third tankful or so. My position in response would be: Why do this to the engine in the first place??? So, as Terry has stated so well -- and to the point -- avoid it if at all possible. With only 2 cylinders to power your ride, why compromise the performance if you don't need to?

I'm sure there are those who may disagree with me, but it seems that something that has starch as part of its chemical makeup cannot be fully combustible in an internal combustion engine.....

Old 03-16-2006, 03:33 AM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What you state may very well be true. However the day may not be far off when this will be the only choice at the pumps.

I'm still miffed that they took out TetraEthylLead. To get decent high octane fuel you have to gas up at the airport with 100LL

Old 03-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Bluebear
Cruiser

I try to stay away from ethanol blended gas because over time it is not good for the engine. One reason why is that a byproduct of alcohol in combustion is water!
As far as gas and octane... no one with a stock engine or even a moderately built engine should need more than standard pump premium fuel (92 octane). The higher the octane rate - the more resistive the fuel is to detonation! Use the lowest octane fuel you can without predetonation (pinging) for the best performance.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:31 AM
RRDube2
Cruiser

Thanks for response.Had a gut feelin' ethonol wasn't good for motor.

Old 03-16-2006, 02:32 PM
skywagon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RRDube2

Thanks for response.Had a gut feelin' ethonol wasn't good for motor.
It does not hurt the motor in the least just some of the older gaskets and o-rings were not made to stand up to it and crack and leak, anything built in the last 7 years have different material for the o-rings ect. but the motor don't mind it at all in fact there are people using E-85, 85% alcohal in a new vehical not approved for it and not having any problems. only downside is the higher % you use, milage goes down and it does not store as long as non alcohaul gasoline.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:32 PM
dfirecpt
Cruiser

I've been burning the stuff for years in my cages and small engines. No problems. Even the '67 Pontiac gets it.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Will not, unless it's an emergency would use in the scoot. MOCO reccommends premium for a reason and I don't feel like risking it.
Pings & knocking will destroy any engine.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:03 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

stay away from it bottom line i dont even run it in my truck it burns faster and go thru more if you cant find preium go with unleaded everybody i have talk to about bikes say do not use.and i heard on the news that with that stuff they had to take something out of so if the undergrounds tanks lick that it would pollut and they are say do to this the price of this junk is going to cost even more .just my 2 cents .

Quick Reply: Ethonol blends,good,bad,harmful to v-tvins?