General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to purchase a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I want to purchase a Harley

it is a stupid question there are some things this being one of them that you need to find out for yourself and start the process of making your own informed decisons not taking the words of total strangers

Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or buying into the hollow words of the uninformed haters

Old 07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Paul! For what it's worth, I take an annual ride with a bunch of friends every October. Most of us ride metrics but there has almost always been someone on a Harley through the years. I am talking a week long ride, covering around 3000 miles on average. We have never had any issues with the Harleys in the group. In fact, the only time the group was stopped by a bike failure that required trailering the motorcycle to the nearest dealer for repair, it was a Goldwing that quit. So, go get&nbsp\\;your dream bike and do not let any prejudiced idiot talk you out of it.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck and Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:36 PM
tt_ksu
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rent a Harley for a weekend and there's a very good chance that you won't want anything else...
The feeling I had when I rode my first Harley is hard to describe, but as soon as I started it up, I knew I had to have one.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-30-2008, 09:48 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I have had six different brands of motorcycles. I bought my first Harley over thirty years ago and have owned nothing but Harleys ever since.
&nbsp\\;
If you love the Road King Classic, rent one&nbsp\\;and if you still love it when you get back to the dealership, buy one. You will never regret owning a Harley. All the brands are good but nothing else makes you feel as good as you do when riding a Harley.
&nbsp\\;
Harleys are reliable, comfortable (relatively speaking), economical to operate and in a class by themselves.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM
PrimeMate
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Granted, it's not for everyone but rent one for a weekend and see what you think. IMO, a day won't tell you if it's right for you but a few days in the saddle will let you know if it's what you want.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a Harley , buy one , you will never be happy until you get one and then you will never look back. Just go for it .

Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

People who ride metrics and run down Harley's are usually either jealous or missinformed. People say Harley's are expensive to maintain. Not anymore so than any other motorcycle. I was on another forum recently that was for all brands of motorcycles. There was a guy on there with a Yamaha cruiser&nbsp\\;bitching about his 1000 mile service costing him 300 bucks. So it's not just Harleys. Also maintanence can be made cheaper by doing the work yourself or finding a reliable independant shop.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

What do your instincts tell you about your friends attitude?&nbsp\\; That they're right?&nbsp\\; Probably not, so either ignore them and go with your heart or let them make your decision for you.
&nbsp\\;
IMO, you should just move ahead and buy the bike&nbsp\\;and let them&nbsp\\;talk.&nbsp\\; The only person who needs to be happy is you...and believe me, you'll be happy when you get your bike.&nbsp\\; My first HD was a Road King Classic and in my mind I bought the perfect bike...that being said,&nbsp\\;I really could&nbsp\\;give a rats *** what others say about it.&nbsp\\; My face still hurts from the smile my bike give me though.
&nbsp\\;
Good luck and ride safe.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

After riding other brands all my life I bouight a Harley 2 months ago.
&nbsp\\;
The fit and finish is second to none, and the reliablilty problem went out the window 25 years ago.
&nbsp\\;
Even though the Harley is a retro bike, everything on it is state of the art, be it brakes, shocks, motor etc.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
BTW the accessories are all first class, too.

Quick Reply: I want to purchase a Harley