General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to purchase a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I want to purchase a Harley

I have test driven the Heritage and Road King. I like both...The Heritage seem to fit better. On the Road King I will have to change the handle bar.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Road King had me leaning forward to much. I want to be able yo lean back a little.
Thanks a Million, for your comment.
paul

Old 08-04-2008, 10:21 PM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: meccariello

whatever you get, make sure you test drive all of your options so that you dont think "i wonder if..." and get the one that most feels right for you. any good dealer/salesperson will gladly take the time to let you demo them all. its a big investment. drive them all one day and then sleep for a night and then go with your gut.
+1

Old 08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
BandtChsr
Advanced

Hyperfocal
I do not want to add to the problem.
But last summer I bought my first Harley (2007 Sportster 1200L)
25 years ago I rode everywhere all the time, even in winter.
But I always rode Honda or Suszki.
The difference in those and my Harley is like night and day.
Do yourself a favor, take one for a ride... You'll see what we mean
My only problem is keeping the wife off of it.....LOL

Old 08-08-2008, 10:07 PM
plopper
Advanced

dude ive owned both iam not knocking the metric at all, but in know way shape or form is it a harley ........ yes it might be more money ,or just a name ,or whatever the hell it is, but ill tell you one thing its the most enjoyable bike i have ever owned id do it again in a heartbeat,good luck

Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
AustinRider
Cruiser

Well Paul, you know by not that you can't listen to what other people say. Just look at the diverse bunch of comments you got here. You have to do what is in your heart.

I started out looking at the Road King. It has the classic look that is so popular and is made for long road trips although it is still good for around town jaunts. I never really considered the Softtail although it is a beautiful bike. I just didn't think it would be as good for long trips. As it turns out I haven't made as many long trips in the year or so that I've had my bike as I thought that I would but I'm still pleased with my choice which incidently was not for the Road King.

It's a big decision. It's a big investment. I didn't like the fact that the Road King didnt' have a tachometer. And I got to thinking that I wanted a sound system. But I didn't really like the Ultras. I didn't really like the idea of a faring at all but I got to looking at the models with the faring and I turned my attention to the Road Glide.

It has a frame mounted faring and not a fork mouned faring and that made a lotta sense to me. You wouldn't have the wind pushing on your handlebars. It also had a complete set of guages and a great sound system and listed for only about $300 more than the Road King. I figured if I added all that stuff to the RK I'd end up spending over a thousand bucks more so after a lot of thought I went with the Road Glide and I couldn't be happier. I listened to my heart and what was important to me and you will have to do the same thing.

One of the neat things about Harleys is that you can customize them to make them fit you and suit you the way you want to. One of the first things I did was to change the handlebars. The ones that came with it were not comfortable at all. A new set of bars ran about sixty-five bucks. It was fun doing the work and added to my satisfaction of owning the bike.

I also changed the exhaust and ECM and added a GPS. There are quite a few other things that I want to do to the bike as time goes on so it's a work in progress and makes owning a Harley a lot different than owning a metric. You get to put a lot of yourself into the bike and for me that is very satisfying.

Whatever you end up with I know you'll be happy with it but remember to do two things. First of all ride as often as you can every chance you get. Even if it's just to run to the store, don't let your bike set in the garage and collect dust. The more you ride the more in touch with the bike you will become and the more you will improve your riding skills.

Second, stay in touch with this group. There's a lot of good people here and you will learn a lot and eventually you will be able to share a lot in return.

When you buy a Harley you join into the family of Harley owners. It's a true fellowship and sets apart riding a Harley from riding anything else.

Good Luck and Good Riding...

Old 08-09-2008, 03:08 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,608 Likes on 3,879 Posts

I gotta tell you, my Harley has been very toublesome in the 47,000 miles I've put on it in 2 years. The damn thing is constantly needing an oil change. This problem is consistent, and it'll probably continue for another 150,000 miles.

My wife's Yamaha has had more problems than my HD in just 1600 miles.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:04 PM
hyperfocal
Road Master

Hello Austin, thanks for such sincere reply. You are absolutely right about following your heart. I will have to make the final decision. It has been a great journey and looking forward to more.
Thanks again everybody...
paul