General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are correct handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006 | 11:25 PM
burleyman
|
4th Gear
Default what are correct handlebars?

How do you decide what are the correct handlebars? I know the stock handlebars on my 2005 Low Rider are not right for me. I am reaching out, and my back bothers me (a lot) after a full days ride. Any advice on how to determine what is thebest fit for this body? Thanks.

Old 03-14-2006 | 11:45 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned
Default RE: what are correct handlebars?

you'll find the correct bars when you sit on the bike and can reach the bars while your back is straight what you can do is take a couple of coat hangers and bend them into the shape that lets you sit upright without having to reach out for the bars .when the wire is bent into the right shape find a set of bars that match

steve

Old 03-14-2006 | 11:54 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned

I think this is a personal preference question.The bars on your bike might not be comfortable to you,but might be to me.You need to find the ones that will make you feel comfortable.Many dealers have a set up where you sit on a mock seat & try different bars.thats the best way to go

Old 03-14-2006 | 11:56 PM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

The kind that steer [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 03-15-2006 | 12:22 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned

ORIGINAL: PipeDADDY

thats a start

Old 03-15-2006 | 07:13 AM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PipeDADDY

Name:  highland_2.gif
Views: 41
Size:  30.7 KB

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:03 AM
RoadRunner1
Cruiser

Over the counter handle bar manufacturers do not have a set standard when they state rise, pull back, center width, and width. Best thing to do is go to J&P and look thru the bar section. They have a good description of what the different measurements are. Order a handle bar that you feel would be fit for you. Try them on your bike for fit. Do not put any controls or grips on them. Just make sure that you do not mark or damage them. J&P has a liberal return policy. If the bar is not what you want return them and reorder. Put your stock bars back on so your bike won’t be down. This might take a little trial and error but you will get the right fit for you.

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:12 AM
IndyHSC
Cruiser

Burley,

I have heard from a couple of folks that a great method is to sit on the bike in a riding position (bike upright and feet on the pegs or boards) with your hands in your lap and your eyes closed; sit with your eyes closed for a spell to get comfortable. With your eyes still closed, lift your hands to “your” riding position. In theory, this should be your “natural” riding position and therefore most comfortable. Find the bar and riser combo that puts your grips where your hands ended up and you are golden. Good luck! Oh, and welcome to The Forum!

John

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:35 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

IndyHSC said something that made me wonder...
Find the bar and riser combo
Can you get away with just chaning out your riser? I like the bars on my bike but they could stand to be a little close to me and maybe higher... I think I may be able to pull it off with the risers that come up another inch and sweep back... Perhaps that could work for you? I think the riser would be easier to swap out and you MAY not have to change any of the cables depending on how much movement you are looking for...

Just a thought.

Old 03-15-2006 | 04:29 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

I think this is a personal preference question.The bars on your bike might not be comfortable to you,but might be to me.You need to find the ones that will make you feel comfortable.Many dealers have a set up where you sit on a mock seat & try different bars.thats the best way to go
This is actually a pretty good place to start. What I did find (after a little searching) was an independent shop that had a lot of bars in stock and that allowed me to take a couple of sets, 1 at a time and sit on my bike with the bars just resting on the clamp until I found a set that were close to what felt good. I bought one pair and would up later with a set of Wild Ones as a final set of bars, but if you can find an indy that'll let you check their bars out that way, it might work out.

Quick Reply: what are correct handlebars?