General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are correct handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006 | 05:27 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Default RE: what are correct handlebars?

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

I think this is a personal preference question.The bars on your bike might not be comfortable to you,but might be to me.You need to find the ones that will make you feel comfortable.Many dealers have a set up where you sit on a mock seat & try different bars.thats the best way to go
This is actually a pretty good place to start. What I did find (after a little searching) was an independent shop that had a lot of bars in stock and that allowed me to take a couple of sets, 1 at a time and sit on my bike with the bars just resting on the clamp until I found a set that were close to what felt good. I bought one pair and would up later with a set of Wild Ones as a final set of bars, but if you can find an indy that'll let you check their bars out that way, it might work out.
Great I'm glad it worked out for you

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:45 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

This method will get you to the riding position that will be the most comfortable for the long haul. I always set up my bikes this way and it saves a lot of bar switching and experimenting.

You might not have the coolest look, but you will have a comfortable long hauler.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-15-2006 | 09:52 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Had 16" apes on my springer. Unfortunately as I aged, my hands fell asleep on longer rides. The 'mini' apes on my Dyna were a bit too short, so I replaced the 1 inch risers with 2 1/2 inch. PERFECT heigth for me. Wife didn't like the drag bars on her Nightrain. Did the same thing, changed the bars with the ones on her Sportie and put 3" bullback risers.

Good Luck, happy hunting

Old 03-15-2006 | 11:43 PM
Bluebear
Cruiser

When I first got my bike, it had beach bars on it with seven inch risers. I hated the look and the excessive wide spread of my arms, so I went with 14" ape hangers with 1.5" risers. For me (6-00), it made the perfect riding position. I went to a parts dealer and sat on my bike and tried different types of bars until I got the right feel.
One comment I would like to make concerning changing to higher risers - as you add higher risers, your steering becomes more vague due to the twisting play of the risers. When I lost my 7" risers and went to 1.5" risers with my apes, my steering felt rock solid - very noticeable difference. I will never go back to tall risers!

FWIW, Dennis

Old 03-15-2006 | 11:47 PM
Cognizant
Tourer

Sounds like a logical way to do it, I'll have to try that. BTW do you happen to know if there is a thread in the faq or somewhere else in this forum about doing the handlebar swap--what with all the splicing of wires etc. I'd like to get a handle on what I'm in for after I order those mini apes?