Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a loud pipes ticket!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Hester
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a "courtesy notice" in the mail from the Superior Court. The cop transposed two digits in the vehicle code section on the ticket. He wrote "21750" (passing to the left) instead of 27150 (adequate exhaust). 21750 is a moving violation and that is how the court is treating it. The bail amount for the 21750 charge is $206.00 but the bail for the 27150 should only be $108.00. After everything I've already gone through (see above), I now have no choice but to enter a plea of "not guilty" and go to trial. The courtesy notice says that if I plead "not guilty" by mail, I have to pay the bail and that if I go to court and plead "not guilty" I "may still be required to post bail in order to schedule [my] trial."

My plan is to plead "not guilty" and take it to trial. If the cop doesn't show up for trial, the court will probably dismiss it. If the cop does show up to prosecute, I plan to stand there while he presents his case and, when he rests, move for acquittal (I assume that the evidence that the cop presents in his case in chief will not include any evidence that I am guilty of violating the offense charged (i.e., unsafe passing) and will only include his testimony that my bike was "excessively or unusually" loud. If I can make the judge realize that the cop screwed up, he or she should grant my motion for acquittal. If not, I have the "certificate of correction" that the lady cop signed for me (without even looking at my bike) that should end all discussion.

What a pain in the a$$...