General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTK: Home Sandblasting Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:30 AM
ultravista
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTK: Home Sandblasting Kit

I've been looking into the purchase of a sandblasting kit. Came across this one at Home Depot for $13.00. Just a gun and pickup tube, pretty simple.

Husky Sandblasting Kit

I want to remove the paint from a second set of tins. Would a small gun like this work or would I better off doing something else. My other option is to go with a chemical stripper.

What are the pros-and-cons of sandblasting over stripping with chemicals? Is one better or fast than the other?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:39 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: WTK: Home Sandblasting Kit

Yup, that will work. I have a blasting cabinet with something very similar inside. Be sure to protect your face. Sand hurts, and you can do permanent eye damage. Of course chemicals can be nasty too.

The blaster is better at getting in hard-to-reach areas IMO.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 AM
hdman
Road Captain

Yea, I had one of the Blasters you are talking about, different brand. Its just average and I would not put to much confidence in the performance. I have to go back to the old saying.... you get what you pay for... and 13 bucks tells that story. Of course if you buy and don't like you are only out 13 bucks and some time...... hdman

Old 03-14-2006, 11:11 AM
ultravista
Road Captain

hdman, thanks for the reply. Will this work for paint removal on the tins? I don't want to waste my time if the tank & fenders are too large for a smaller gun.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sand blasters will work, they are just air hogs. So if you don't have a very powerful air compressor, you'll be constantly waiting for air. I'd suggest going to the local auto paint store and pick up some aircraft stripper then use the blaster to get the hard to reach areas. On the safety side, when blasting also use an air mask. You don't want the airborn residue in your lungs.

Old 03-14-2006, 03:52 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

This stuff gets ALL OVER THE PLACE too... Do you have a spray cabinet that will fit the tins? My neighbor used sand(media) blasting on this control arms for the vette... had to do it in the driveway since they were too big for the booth... We are STILL cleaning that stuff up... I am sure the chemicals can be icky too... but that sand just gets into EVERYTHING...

It does clean the heck out of metal though.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:19 PM
ultravista
Road Captain

I don't have a blasting tank and was either going to do it outside (driveway) or make a homemade cabinet. My compressor is decent and I think it will work out, it's a 33 gallon Crafstman.

If I do it outside, it will be tarped to catch the sand, with a respirator and fans blowing to move the dust.

Now the next question. What media should I use? I've heard regular sand is OK so what should I be looking for? Home Depot carries a cheap gun and I hope they have the media too.

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Sandblast Can

Sandblasting Cabinet

Old 03-14-2006, 10:57 PM
jester
Advanced

Be very careful sandblasting. That crap will trash your lungs permanently. You will need a proper resperator to be safe. i haven't done it in a long time, so check with local paint shop for equipment. not raggin' ya just be safe mike

Old 03-15-2006, 07:14 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Dry sand or silica. Anything with sharp edges.

Use a double filter mask rated for fine dust with a full hood if you can find one. That stuff will get everywhere.

Careful with the motion. Stop too long and you will wear a hole in the metal.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:15 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are going to go through a lot of media if you don't capture it somehow. I would use play sand if you are not going to capture (and use a full resperator, this crap will kill you). You might want to look into sodablasting equipment. If you can capture it, you are better off using a 120 grit aluminum oxide or a medium glass bead, it will give a better finish than play sand. I've made wooden blast cabinets before dirt cheap using caulking, some rubber gloves, arms off a raincoat, an old vacuum cleaner, plexiglass windo and a flouresent light. Cost maybe $30 worth a materials and did a fine job on my pontiac rims. I gave it to a friend when I moved out of state, and he used it to restore a truck and used coal slag for a media (real abrasive), so it lasted longer than I thought it would.

Quick Reply: WTK: Home Sandblasting Kit