General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injector cleaners.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector cleaners.....

Hey all,
Quick question. I stored my bike for about four months during sh**town's, excuse me, Cleveland's winter and the bike seemed to run a bit rough when out for the first time. I know she only had about a quarter tank of fuel during the storage time and it hadn't run for those months. I filled it up all the way with 93 octane and it seems to run much better. My question is, would it be a waste of money or would it add more problems to put some high grade fuel injector cleaner in the tank as well?
It is a twin cam fuel injected bagger, by the way.
Thanks in advance.
Later

Old 03-13-2006, 10:03 PM
superdog48
Tourer
Default RE: Fuel injector cleaners.....

I'm not sure if the fuel injection cleaner will hirt or not, but next time you have to put your bike up in storage, add a few ounces of Sea Foam Tume -up in the tank with a little gas. Let it run for a few minutes and kill it. The Sea Foam can be bought at most auto parts stores, such as NAPA, Car Quest and so on.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

superdog....thanks for the advice....I meant to ask about pre-storage additives as well. Unfortunately, I did not do anything like that, so I am trying to best remedy the current situation. Anyhow, thanks for the quick response. Take care.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:32 PM
UncleMike
Road Master

I use Seafoam also before storing and it is best to fill the tank. If it continues to run rough I would put an ounce or two of Seafoam in the tank, check the plugs to see if they are fouled. Gas goes bad quicker than you might think and the less there is the quicker it turns to crap. It may still run a little rough until you use all of that gas but the Seafoam will help get rid of any gummy build up.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:51 PM
YankeeBob
Cruiser

Techron fuel injection cleaner. Killer stuff. I use it regularly in all my vehicles. Also it got a Volvo of mine running like new that I had neglected for about 3 years. HUGE difference.

YB

Old 03-13-2006, 10:55 PM
BBDeluxe
Cruiser

I agree with what was said. Additionally, here are some thoughts:
Before storage, put in Sta-bil (you can get it at any auto parts store), then top off the tank with high octane. Ride the bike for 10-15 minutes. Then, you shut it down and store it. The topped off tank keeps you from getting condensation in the tank which can cause problems. It also leaves less space for oxygen. The Sta-bil with stablize the gas and keep it from varnishing things. If you have run some of the treated fuel through the lines by running it after doing the top off, all should be good to go. I have done that with my bikes for years and they get put away in November and not started until March each year. They usually kick over first or second try and run fine. I try to run through that first tank quickly and put fresh fuel in right away.

My understanding is that Sea Foam is good for de gunking but doesn't stabilize fuel like Sta-bil. But Sea Foam will keep carbon from building up in the cylinders and Sta-bil won't.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:56 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Lucas brand cleaner in mine.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have used regular gumout (white bottle not the concentrated) carb/fuel injector cleaner in all my 4 cycle cars, boats, bikes. Use a full tank of fresh gas and use it 2/3 strength as prescribed on the bottle. 1 bottle treats 21 gallons which means 16oz /21=.76 ounce per gallon x .66=.50 or 1/2 ounce per gallon or 2 ounces in a 4 gallon tank. You won't even know it's in there and it will be enough to clean everything off UNLESS you did not use any gas stabilizer. Then use as prescribed on bottle directions for 1-2 tankfuls. I use stabilizer and then run the 66% mixture after running out all the stabilizer and have a freah tank of fuel. Also, since you are in Cleveland try some Marathon Premium thats 100% gas with no alcohol. You can get it at the Walton Hills Marathon on Alexander Rd.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Thanks for all the advice....I will take it from here and hopefully all is well.